Walthers Cornerstone HO Scale Brickworks Series Kits

bob

Administrator
Staff member
brick.jpg

Brick Kilns Kit, 2-Pack

New Cornerstone Brickworks Series industry announced today! This new series of HO scale kits makes modeling brickworks operations from the 1880s to 1990s easy and affordable. Optional parts in the Brick Kilns kit allows this common rail-served industry to be easily customized for early coal firing, or later gas firing operation. Click here to see all four kits for yourself and start planning your layout section.

I saw their announcement, yesterday. Interesting project with possibilities.

Funny thing is that at one time, the prototype of my model railroad, served a large and extensive manufacture of fire brick, using Kilns and out buildings similar to what Walthers is operating. I was not aware of this operation, short of references to the brick works by long time residents of the neighborhood, until I gained access to aerial photographs of the riverfront taken circa 1936 to 1941. Of course, by 1962 the timeline for my model railroad, the brick works was long gone and repurposed as the shipping department and parking lot for a several large companies.

Notice, the main brick building and smokestack, are the Northern Power & Light building, aka the Gas works. I suspect the out building also has a prior life as a Walthers building, but it's less obvious.

I was always surprised that more layouts did NOt have a brick factory on them,...it was a very common factory at one time in our history.

Someone I have a very nice article/photo of a model of a brick factory that I saved. And a number of years ago I found some plaster/clay molded kilns and stacks just like that diorama I saved the photo of. I intend to put a brick factory on my new layout, particulary since Balt had so many brick structures. (I think I posted a photo of that diorama on this forum site a long time ago, but it is now missing)

Used to be as you just left DC on New York Ave extending into the B-W Parkway, there were the remains of a brick factory there on the right hand side of the road

Back