Walthers Code 83 curved turnouts...

DairyStateDad

Mumbling in the corner
Does anyone know why Walthers Code 83 #6.5 curved turnouts cost so dang much?:mad:

I'm looking at a few situations in which the otherwise perfect Peco Code 83 #7 curved turnouts don't quite fit. The Walthers would fit perfectly. :confused:

But *man* they are pricey! $40 seems to be the going discount rate ($37.50 at MTS, but then there's shipping, unless I wait until October to pick them up when I am out east again...)... It's enough to make me buy a CV turnout kit and try my hand at building one of those!

Well, maybe not :eek:

I needed a couple curved turnouts on my layout, I watched ebay for about a month. I ended up getting both turnouts I needed for around $18-22 each. It takes time, but every once in a while there can be a deal to be had there.

Compared to building your own, $40 is similar in price...unless you are building more than a handful. If the switch fits, sometimes you have to justify the cost.

Compared to building your own, $40 is similar in price...unless you are building more than a handful. If the switch fits, sometimes you have to justify the cost.

I freehand all my turnouts when handlaying. You have got to be talking about the use of a jig from FastTracks. The most expensive turnout I have on the layout, a double crossover, cost me $6.75, and about 4 hours worth of work.

To spend almost $200 for a jig that will be used just once or twice means that the turnouts, assuming you built at least 2, would cost you almost $100 apiece. It's not until you get into the realm of 15-20 turnouts, that the costs get even close to $10-$15 each. I believe that the jig is simply too expensive to begin with, period.

Last edited by a moderator:
I freehand all my turnouts when handlaying. You have got to be talking about the use of a jig from FastTracks. The most expensive turnout I have on the layout, a double crossover, cost me $6.75, and about 4 hours worth of work.

To spend almost $200 for a jig that will be used just once or twice means that the turnouts, assuming you built at least 2, would cost you almost $100 apiece. It's not until you get into the realm of 15-20 turnouts, that the costs get even close to $10-$15 each. I believe that the jig is simply too expensive to begin with, period.

I can't speak for what AyTrane was referring to, but I was referring to the Central Valley Curvable switch kits. Still finding myself tempted to give one of those a try...but also intimidated by the idea.

Those aren't hard, as you glue most of the parts together, but don't be fooled by the "curvable" part. They can't be bent into a true curved shape, as their frog is molded straight, and its metal that is not easily bent.

Last edited by a moderator:
A useful caution. In the end I will probably spring for the Walthers ones and just look for the best price I can find at the time.

From the DairyStatePhone

Erik,

You mentioned that the Peco #7 was too long for where you need the curved turnout. I am assuming that you are using all Peco Track and therefore using Flex Track. Why not just shorten the Flex Track to fit the Peco #7 turn out? The Peco Turnouts go for $30.69 (plus tax and shipping of course) at MB Klein at the moment and they have 12 in stock.

Hi, Tony -- the issue isn't length, it's that the Peco curved turnout's outer and inner radii are just a bit too broad for the specific situations, whereas the Walthers #6.5 code 83 would fit precisely. I am not sure what the actual Peco radii are, but I can tell from trying out the Peco curved t.o. that I already own in the kinds of situations I describe.

If I need to get the Walthers I will spring for them and otherwise do my best to design around the issue (without compromising the trackwork precision needed to avoid problems)... What the heck -- in the end it's only money :)

Back