Walthers 48' 5-Unit Spine Car Sets

Trucklover

BNSF SD70MAC's
What are your guys opinions of the Walthers 48' 5-Unit Spine Car Sets?

http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/932-40701

How is the detail on them? Are they anything compared to the Bowser or Athearn sets? Im thinking of getting some 48'ers to mix with my Bowser 53' Spine units and the Walthers ones are on sale right now... lol

Ive gotten these sets in before for customers but have never opened them and looked at them up close, from what I could tell, they looked pretty decent in the box, just wanted to get your opinions too...

Hey Josh,

I had that exact same set. They look nice, detail good. I got rid of them just because I wanted some 53' spines. They were nice looking and ran fine.

I got the Athearn 53' 3 car spine set now and they look the exact same to me detailwise the main difference being they hold the 53' container/trailer.

Those Bowser sets look very accurate. I would probably rank them in that order as far as highest quality goes as Bowser, Athearn, and then Walthers.

Take care,

Brad

Thanks Brad, that is good to know

I really like the Bowser Spines, they are very nicely detailed. If only I was able to get the 5th 5-unit set of them lol, I have 4 of the 5 5-unit sets and 3 of the 7 3-unit sets Bowser put out lol. I think a couple 5-unit 48' spine sets from Walthers would give it a nice mix to the overall unit train :D I might even get some 89' flats to throw on the back lol

I have a TON of the older run 48' A-P spines from Walthers, and I love them.

Off topic: I've also got two "sets" of the old Front Range sets to make into two sets of the BNSF spines (very rare prototypes). The problem with those cars is adding weight. Also, you have to buy the intermediate sections separate from the ends. So, I bought two sets of ends, and one set of the intermediate.

I have only two slight misgivings about the 48' spines: (1) on my true track carpet layout, the wheels run on their frames over bumps; and (2) on re-packing in their case, I snapped one in half---the black plastic screw, joining the front truck assembly to their rear platform, snaps easily.

Back