Walt Disney's Model Railroad

max diyer

I didn't know about Walt's MR, until I saw one of these photos. Walt had relatives who worked for the railroad and developed a life-long attraction for railroading. Later on, Walt built this large backyard steam RR. The steamer, tender and several cars are at The Walt Disney Museum in San Fransisco.

nRX1dwh.jpg

wJwK139.jpg

9uacKKG.jpg

DZDR9EF.jpg

Yes, Walt was very interested in railroads. you might need to have been alive when "The Magical World of Disney" was on the TV in the 50s and 60s to know this. I think an earlier Model Railroader Magazine had an article or two about this, also.

I remember Walt's show and wearing an engineers hat on occaision. We didn't watch it very often, as it was in the same time slot as what Dad wanted to watch. When he sat down, he controlled the TV. I was 13 when Walt passed in 1966.

And now you know why Disneyland (and all subsequent Magic Kingdom parks) have a railroad.

It was important to Walt.

I was lucky in 1990 to be sent by the company I worked for to attend Disney University at Disney World for 10 days. Each night we had dinner and a representative of Disney sat with us and answered questions for us about what we seen during the day. The last night of the event, seated next to me was the General Manager of Disney World and was a close friend of Walt Disney. He sure had a bunch of stories, but none about trains. But, I'm sure if some asked, he had some train stories to relate. He spent his entire days with Walt during the construction of Disney World.

Greg

1579970194620.png

Back