Visiting Rails Of Sheffield on Friday

Just two questions please.

As they have taken over part of Hatton's orders for Genesis coaches, when are they going to contact ex-Hatton's customers?
Also when are the Genesis coaches expected in U.K.?

And I thought from the thread title that you were going train watching somewhere!
No, apart from passenger DMUs and the occasional freight loco there's not much to see, plus finding a decent vantage point to rail fan is nearly impossible there.

I'm better off going down to my local station and watching for the big freight loco's like the class 37s going in and out of the Derby works.

A question for them, any possibility of stocking vanilla plain DC versions of US HO locos? It seems to me that UK retailers of US HO outline stock (of which there are a precious few) always seem to get in the full bells and whistles DCC sound and drivers sandwiches on the driving desk version whilst the same model in just plain (and cheaper) DCC ready version is seemingly never stocked.

Also undecorated models, would like to see those more in stock for us who actually like to model rather than just open a box and plonk on the track.

Check out the selection of Peco products. I will miss Hatton's for that reason. It was a lot cheaper to get turnouts from the UK than here, even paying for DHL overseas shipping.
You after anything in particular? I'll be asking about postage/delivery to the US too.

A question for them, any possibility of stocking vanilla plain DC versions of US HO locos? It seems to me that UK retailers of US HO outline stock (of which there are a precious few) always seem to get in the full bells and whistles DCC sound and drivers sandwiches on the driving desk version whilst the same model in just plain (and cheaper) DCC ready version is seemingly never stocked.

Also undecorated models, would like to see those more in stock for us who actually like to model rather than just open a box and plonk on the track.
Ok, noted.

The reason I'm going to ROS.
1712073696297.jpeg

1712073854806.png

As well as 8 Hornby structures, 4 X UP 85' passenger cars and a Hornby TT also going.

Smudge: What are you doing - trading stuff in, selling out right -- sumptin else?

Later
Selling outright, its all items I no longer want or simply can't use, like the 4 UP 85' heavyweight cars, which are too big for my layout plus some Hornby buildings which I don't have any use for.
But they do have a nice Genisis Tsunami2 GP9. maybe I can resist, maybe not 🤔 :D

1712090146765.png

You after anything in particular? I'll be asking about postage/delivery to the US too.
Peco turnouts in general. Wondering if the prices are better buying them in the UK. Hatton's had the best deal going. Wondering if that tradition will keep going.

Alot of us in the US bought Peco track and turnouts from the UK. Especially if you had a sizeable order.

Peco turnouts in general. Wondering if the prices are better buying them in the UK. Hatton's had the best deal going. Wondering if that tradition will keep going.

Alot of us in the US bought Peco track and turnouts from the UK. Especially if you had a sizeable order.
Yeah, there seems, quite rightly, some concern that ROS are going to bump the postage up, or worse, send it via Royal Mail which means USPS on your end, not a good idea and is likely to lose a lot of customers if they do, but its added to my list of queries to ask about.

First let me say that the visit to Rails Of Sheffield was an illuminating experience and disappointing to boot, simply put, the store manager who as helpful as he tried, didn't know much about what was happening regarding Hatton's customers or how they were going to deal with overseas customers orders, from what I gathered although unspoken, buying the Hatton's name was a last-minute decision without any thought about how they were going to deal with Hatton's excellent reputation and customer base.

Just two questions please.

As they have taken over part of Hatton's orders for Genesis coaches, when are they going to contact ex-Hatton's customers?
Also when are the Genesis coaches expected in U.K.?

They have no date as yet when the Genisis cars are due to arrive, and they will "in due course" contact all ex-Hatton's customers regarding their pre-orders. (You'll probably be able to get a rough timeline from Athearn's website)

There is little or no demand as far as he was aware of, regarding undecorated locomotives but an email to ROS would be passed to the relevant person dealing with the locomotives manufacturer to ascertain if they can get one for you, (IMO I wouldn't bother, they seem to be concentrating on what they know will sell and buying a minimum number of them, somehow getting 10 or whatever the minimum number from Athern/Atlas or Intermountain or whoever of undecorated locos that may, or may not, sell seems unlikely)

The same also seems to apply to getting non-sound locos, they may be able to get them if they are on pre-order but he was unsure, again an email may get you an answer, but somehow I got the feeling they're unlikely to get just one, hopefully, I'm wrong.
(FYI. I'm attempting to see if I can get 5X SD70ACU military tribute locomotives as DCC ready, I've sent an email already to ROS, I'll let you know when I get an answer, I've sent a similar email to Mech Models in Burton to compare against).

You would have to check on their website regarding the price of whatever Peco track you're after, I think the main concern is how was it going to be sent overseas, Hatton's always used DHL as you know, the guy I spoke to actually had no idea, and I got what was now becoming his stock answer of, "send an email"

Overall I was not impressed with their friendly store manager's lack of knowledge regarding how his company was going to deal with their new customer base, although at least one member from Hatton's is now working there I don't know what his role is, all I could find out was he was working on streamlining Rails methods of working, which, to me, wasn't really helpful.

Sorry guys. :(

Thanks for fielding all our questions.

Sounds like their about as lost as we all were as this whole thing went down.

Did you at least purchase a few locos? :)
Yeah I got that as well, new locos, no, all they had were either new expensive ones or the wrong scale, all their second-hand ones are stored in a warehouse and only sold on their online store AKA eBay.

Although I did find a new company I'd never heard of.
1712354450482.png

Back