Video - BLI T1 Duplex, take two

The defective valve gear something to look for? I did little more with mine than open box, agree it was a T1, and shelf it for the time being.

The defective valve gear something to look for? I did little more with mine than open box, agree it was a T1, and shelf it for the time being.
Personally, I've had a string of bad luck with BLI locos starting with the Y6B from early 2010. I went through three of those with busted gears in the drivetrain, finally sending the third one back to BLI for repair (returned the others to the merchant). There was also a defective chuff sensor on the Y6B and the Q2, wobbly wheels on the GS4, whining decoder in the Centipedes, and defective chuff sensor and backwards valve gear on this T1. All of these problems were made right by either BLI or myself, and they're great runners now, but, I thoroughly test each loco I get from them. Better to discover any issues while they're still under warranty. I think all manufacturers are struggling with quality to some degree due to the high demand with the Chinese manufacturers, and their struggle to keep up with the work.

It seems I'll be taking the T1 out of the box this weekend then.

My Centipedes seemed OK for the most part. I was worried about the whining/growling/humming that everyone seemed to be posting and complaining about, but mine were OK in that respect.

My T1 checked out OK, I was also surprised how heavy it was out of the box. Those traction tire sets aren't needed unless someone has some unrealistic grades on their layout.

Back