Utility Poles

Greg@mnrr

Section Hand
Just a survey on which of the Forum members "string" their layout's utility poles with products like those offered by Berkshire Junction and others.

What method do you use to attach the "wire" to the poles?

Thanks.

Greg

I had thought about putting utility poles in as I add details to the layout but don't know if it want to string any wires. I can just see myself ripping them out when reaching over the layout. I guess I could try to put them in a location where reaching wouldn't be a problem. I really liked the looks of Dave'a old layout when he added the likes. They really looked good.

I understand montanan's reluctance to string "wire", but since I'm in the process of stringing overhead, I'll be hanging wires from the telephone poles as well. I'll be using Gutermann Tex 8 thread and superglue.

Kevin,

Now, that's a specific thread you mentioned. Have you done test with sizes to see what is best? What about the tread having the fine "hairs" and can you see that when you take a picture of the threads?

I'm sure it would ge nice to have some lines thicker then others since they are not all the same sizes or even colors.

Dave

Before I retired I worked around high voltage and this work is great. Truly realistic!!!!

Thanks for sharing.

Greg

Before I retired I worked around high voltage and this work is great. Truly realistic!!!!

Thanks for sharing.

Greg

Yes, this work is amazing. I would think he has experience working on these poles or somehow more knowledge then the average guy would have about the way they work. These look great.

Dave

Dave,

Sorry I missed your earlier post. Tex 8 is exceeding fine thread. Tex is similar to denier (you've heard of 1000 denier ballistic nylon?). Tex is the number of grams per 1000 meters, so a 1000 meter spool of Tex 8 thread weighs 8 grams, about 1/4 ounce. If I can remember, I'll pull out my micrometer and try to measure a piece. Its so fine, you can't see the "fuzz". For the source: here's the short spool - http://www.wawak.com/Gutermann-Hemshire-Blind-Stitch-Thread-Tex-8-5-468-yds

This is the one I stole from my cover stitch machine - http://www.wawak.com/Gutermann-Hemshire-Blind-Stitch-Thread-Tex-8-21-872-yds in color 467

Hi Kevin,

Wow, did I get a nice lesson in sewing and sewing materials here. So, no I didn't know denier ballistic nylon before but now I know what was used to make earlier flight jackets. Interesting learning for me. THANKS! Then I didn't know what a cover stich was or called. I know what it is now and had seen it before but didn't know what it was called. Just never asked I guess.

I checked out the link for the material and it seems the color is good you picked. You find the color works better then black? The spool seems like a large amount but I guess I could use it to wire the entire empire I'm building for internet too. LOL

Have you tried using this in a heaver size as well to represent thicker lines on the poles? I noticed there are multiple size wires on the poles so I just wonder if that's a detail that would be lost. Not really worth the extra cost for the multiple spools of thread you would need to buy.

I'll heck out JoAnne Fabrics today and see what they have that's like this tread. I'll report back if I find anything or end up with buying from the link you sent.

Dave

Back