Using Track power for lighting

V&TFAN

I'm installing DCC in a locomotive and I've used all the lighting functions. I'm thinking I can use "track power" to light the number boards on the locomotive. Is it just a matter of reducing the voltage? Has anyone done this? What am I missing?

Charles

TSU-1000, I've used F-5 for the Mars Light, and F-6 for the Emergency Light. Headlight and reverse light are both also used.

I thought about that, I used 15 mA bulbs for the twin headlights, so I could add up to 70mA more on that function, but then the number boards will become directional. It's plan "B" right now.

DCC is a high frequency variant of an AC sine wave. As long as you have the proper resistor installed based on the track voltage, either bulbs or LEDs will run off it just fine.

I have a couple signal towers located at the double gapped sections of a reverse loop (DCC). The red LED is connected to the same rail on either side of the insulated joiner and the green is connected to opposite rails. If the main and loop polarity (phase actually) don't match, the red LED illuminates, if the main and loop do match, the green LED illuminates .... both connected through a resistor straight to track power.

Connecting lighting in your engine would be the same thing. As said already however, you won't be able to turn them on / off.

Mark.

OK, I found a 12V 30 mA bulb, put a 220 ohm 1/4w Resistor on it clipped it to my test track and let it run all day. I know 220 is a bit much but I didn't want the Number boards as bright as the head lights.

Am I on the right track?

Charles

Guess the big question would be - how warm did the bulb get ? If it's too warm (bordering on hot) it might distort plastic parts. If not, then you should be fine.

Mark.

Guess the big question would be - how warm did the bulb get ? If it's too warm (bordering on hot) it might distort plastic parts. If not, then you should be fine.

Mark.

My rule of thumb is to take the bulb and place it between two fingers, inside down by the web, if it's to hot for that it's to hot.

DCC is a high frequency variant of an AC sine wave. As long as you have the proper resistor installed based on the track voltage, either bulbs or LEDs will run off it just fine.

I have a couple signal towers located at the double gapped sections of a reverse loop (DCC). The red LED is connected to the same rail on either side of the insulated joiner and the green is connected to opposite rails. If the main and loop polarity (phase actually) don't match, the red LED illuminates, if the main and loop do match, the green LED illuminates .... both connected through a resistor straight to track power.

Connecting lighting in your engine would be the same thing. As said already however, you won't be able to turn them on / off.

Mark.
I'd like to hear more about this circuit! A sketch would help.

Back