Unresponsive Decoder

Mostro

Hi, first post here. I recently hardwired a Loksound Select Micro sound decoder into a Bachmann On30 gas mech. It's fueled by an NCE Power Cab. The sound and lights are not yet connected.

Soon after starting up, the loco ceases to recognize commands from the cab. It won't reverse, slow, or stop and must be pulled from the track. Sometimes when replaced it will then stop, other times it continues on its merry way. :confused:

I've reset the decoder several times. I've also shut off its DC capability. Clean track, wheels, check. It's strange that it gets power to continue running but doesn't accept commands (assuming it's getting them). Any ideas on other possible fixes? Poor solder joint? I'm hoping it's not a bad decoder.

Decoder Problems

What address are you using? 03 or one that that you assigned? Try re-addressing the loco and then see if the loco responds.

Mixed wiring?

Just a guess.

Thanks.

Greg

Last edited by a moderator:
An address problem would result in no commands being sent to the decoder at all, not an intermittent problem as seen here.

Long story short the decoder is being replaced.

Recheck that the DC component is turned off. I've had loco's that would do that. When the programming was checked the bit to change this component didn't take.

I would say a crossed wire or connection from power to motor.
I have seen them act like this when either there is power getting to the motor, or a bad decoder.

Back