Under Construction - Birmingham UK

I'm confused by what you call a "signal tower" in your photos. It appears to be what we would call a cooling tower as part of the climate control system on an office building. Is that what it is or is a signal tower something else in the UK?

Hi Jim

Sorry I should have been clearer in my description. The picture shows the roof of my signal box. The full thing (before I started rebuilding it) can be seen here http://jsmithwright.demonweb.co.uk/layout/scenic.html

This style of signal box is unique to Birmingham New Street station and bears no resemblance what so ever to "normal" British signal boxes. It was all built in a flurry of excitement back in the '60's when pre-fab concrete was thought to be the material of the future.

HTH

Jim

Jim,
OK, I can see how big that thing is and you've done a good job of reproducing the 60's concrete contruction ugliness that seems to have been common here as well. But I still don't understad why a structure that size would be called a "signal box". That makes me think of some of the small interlocking plants we had here that were two story brick (usually) with windows all around so the operator could see what was going on. What exactly was the building used for and where was it located in comparison to the tracks? BTW, I meant to compliment you on those small A/C units - hardly anyone gets down to that level of roof detail.

Hi Jim

This will be on the front of the layout so it pays to go a little OTT. If the public approach the layout from the left this will be the first thing they come to.

The top floor is where the actual signalling work takes place for the station. they cant see the southern end of the station at all because there is a shopping center built over the top of it - Birmingham New Street is officially classified as an underground station. They can see a bit of the Northern end though but they have to look over a 4 way road junction - thus its high up! The lower floors are training rooms.

The fist pic shows the view of the signal box from platform 1 while the second pic shows the sort of view the public will get.

Cheers

Jim

Last edited by a moderator:
Absolutely amazing how close you built your model to the actual thing! Could you do a tutorial on resin casting? I was thinking of doing some of that myself as well, but unsure how to approach it correctly.

One wonders if you'll use a photo backdrop, or wll some of those huge building actually be incorporated into the layout.

Ah, OK, so this is both a signaling facility and and office building. This makes more sense given the size. A "signal box" over here means a small structure with one or two operators. It's obviously different in the UK.

I agree with Miles. You did a great job of reproducing a difficult to build structure. Everyone walking in who's seen that signal box will surely recognize it right off the bat.

Absolutely amazing how close you built your model to the actual thing! Could you do a tutorial on resin casting? I was thinking of doing some of that myself as well, but unsure how to approach it correctly.

One wonders if you'll use a photo backdrop, or wll some of those huge building actually be incorporated into the layout.

Hey Miles

I am replacing all of the resin bits as I dont think they are good enough. I am no expert in using resin's I am sure someone on here is much better qualified than I to give a tutorial.

I plan to model the buildings you see. The tall building in the center of the second pic is a famous landmark. I think its Britains only round office block. I am having a problem finding 420mm clear tube for that one.

Jim

Absolutely amazing how close you built your model to the actual thing!

I just copy the words that Miles wrote...I couldn't write it better in your language!
AWESOME!

Jos

Yikes! 800 ft of track, not to mention all the fancy work you'll have to wire under switches!

Hi Miles

Reading back through this thread (thanks for all the kind comments everyone!) I came across this little typo (originally by me). Where I put feet I should have put meters. Even more reason not to build OLE in the fiddleyard. I dont know what its like over there but when you go to a track supplier over here and say "we'd like to buy one and a half kilometres of rail please" they go a funny colour! :D :D :D

all that rail needs threading onto the track bases (not a fun job) but we found by marking the ends over 15ft sections and using a laser guide actually laying the track is pretty quick. We position the track and then use super glue to secure it. Two of us can easily lay 80ft in a weekend.

Pic © Tim Horn

Cheers

Jim

Last edited by a moderator:
don't cross those tracks...

Like professionals!!!:eek: :eek: but awesome pffiewww:)
But I think it will be save ...I can see already a signaltower outside;) :)
impressive sir!
Jos

What scale are your running here ?

Hi

4mm to 1 ft. Over here our most common gauge is called 00. which is 4mm scale stock running on HO track (16.5 mm gauge) A compromise descending from UK prototypes being smaller than US or european ones. They ues HO track because it was available but a larger scale for the locomotives to fit the motors in. Or so the urban mythology goes.

There are 2 other gauges in british 4mm scale modelling, those being EM (standing for Eighteen Millimeter, actually 18.2mm gauge) and P4, standing for protofour which uses dead scale 18.83mm gauge track.

Both these scales require you to build your own track and rewheel your stock. I use P4 hence the layout title p4newstreet. As P4 uses dead scale track and wheel flanges the track need to be extremely accurate and often the stock is compensated or sprung.

I have attached a picture of some P4 wheels to give you an idea of the flange size - the inserts are etches done to my own artwork to sepresent the SAB resiliant wheel. The purpose of the SAB resliant wheel is to be kinder to the track

SABresiliantwheel.jpg

What follows is a picture of the underside of a kit built ballast wagon. You cant really see the springing but it is there

dogfish-underside.jpg

HTH

Jim

Actually, Jim, I really like the Class 08's! :) It looks more like a locomotive and less like a Rolling Loaf of bread! ;)

Hi Miles

Since you like 08's you might like this. Just finished a model of 08601 for the layout - this is not a normal livery for the era but harks back to the London Midland Scottish railway. My local depot (Tysley) had quite a reputation in the late 1980's for doing specials like this. More pics on my site.

Jim

Back