tyco locomotives

voodoo

ive got these two old tyco locomotives id like to clean up and get running again but im not real sure on how to get the bodies off with out breaking them, any tips?

DSCF1164.jpg

DSCF1160.jpg

It's been a while but I believe the body is held on by two screws that you'll see in the bottom of the fuel tank. Some had four screws and some had one so just take out as many as you find. The body should then slip off although there is a little friction around the fuel tank so you may nedd to slip a small blade screw driver in to help the shell off the frame.

I'll go downstairs a little later and have a look. It's been quite awhile since I took some apart.
I must have about a dozen or so of them still intact.
Willis

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, took awile figuring it out. The truck on the long hood can be left on, the weight in the center can be left alone too. As you've already discovered the trucks are held in place little tabs on the trucks mating with slots in the shell. Get yourself a few flat toothpicks or some similar sized materials. Using a small sized screw driver or the tip of a knife blade pry the shell away from one tab then put a tooth pick so the tab cannot reinsert itself back into the slot. On the same side, do the same to the rear tab and inserting the tooth pick. (Now I don't know why or how, but without the tooth picks, soon as you pry the opposite side the darn tabs will re insert themselves back inro the slots and you'd be back to square one.) Now pry the tabs on the other side away from their slots and the truck will fall out.
Good luck, when prying don't over do it
Cheers
Willis

If not shoot me a PM, I will look it over and get them both running, check out my Sig. All the replies you got back are correct nothing more I can tell you on that. Merry Christmas Mike

Thanks

Thanks for the tips! I used the toothpick method on my 30 year old Tyco Santa Fe F7A and with some cleaning, lube, re cleaning, re soldering etc, got it running like a champ again!

Back