turnout terminology ?

gregc

Apprentice Modeler
are there specific names for each of three tracks a railroad turnout connects? are the names different for a wye?

Normally the route through the straight side of a switch is the "normal" route.
Normally the route through the curved side of a switch is the "diverging" route.

A switch lined for the normal route is in "normal" positon.
A switch lined for the diverging route is in "reverse" rosition.

A wye or "equilateral" switch has two diverging routes.

There areren't specific names for the tracks other than the routes.

Greg I'm not exactly sure what parts of the switch you're asking about or if it's just the routes, as Dave described. Most modelers refer to "straight" and "diverging" routes for the tracks that conect to a switch. A wye is usually referred to as "legs", as in a north leg and south leg.

Greg I'm not exactly sure what parts of the switch you're asking about or if it's just the routes, as Dave described. Most modelers refer to "straight" and "diverging" routes for the tracks that conect to a switch. A wye is usually referred to as "legs", as in a north leg and south leg.
if you said the track connected to the switch, there are 3 choices. the diverging track make sense for the one case. possibly the common track in the other case. but i can't think of a good description for the third, the other end of the normal route.

in the case of a wye, i guess common, left and right would make sense.

Point of clarification, the vast majority of "wye" switches on the prototypes are NOT used on "wye" track arrangements. The vast majority of prototype wyes use conventional switches.

The most common current use of "wye" switches are not in wyes at all but as equilateral switches at the end of two main tracks or at the ends of high speed sidings.

Good point, Dave, you rarely see what we modelers call a "wye switch" being used for that purpose on real railroads. It works for us because it saves space but real railroads use seperate switches because it's cheaper.

Back