Train controllers for kids?

weekendrailroader

Guy with the Green Hat
Hi all. :)
Our church has a Harvest celebration (called "Heidelfest") every year which a lot of kids come to and enjoy. Last year I brought my wooden railway collection (including Thomas) which kept the youngest ones entertained.

This year, I want to build a small HO model railroad that the older kids can run. Thing is, I don't think I want to let them use a transformer, since the kids would probably love to see just how fast the train can go :eek:

So, what kind of controllers can be used for kids? Can you install one of those light switches with the knob that controls brightness between the track and the transformer? I have no experience with constructing circuits, and I am on a small budget.

Also, are there components (Atlas, maybe?) that will change the train's direction without flipping the switch on the transformer?

I will be using DC power. No money for decoders, etc. is available.

Thanks.:)

I have a standard Bachmann DC controller. It has a 1 amp power supply that plugs into it. Two push terminals on the back for accessories, and a dial for speed. VERY basic. And they're cheap. That's the one that I gave to my son to use.

Kids transformer.

What you need to do is add resistance between your transformer and the track. You could use a 12 volt tail lite bulb, might have to try a couple of sizes (amps) to get the right one. Or mount an old reostat in line and adjust it to limit the speed. If you have an old, old, gold metal power pack you could open it up and clip the wires from the transformer/rectifier and feed the new/present output dc 12 volt track power to the reostat and use that old packs train outputs to your track. I did something like that in Africa bush 1977 using a car battery.

I have often thought of using the double reostat to be able to set a realistic speed for any loco controlled by a power pack. Maybe some of the electrical guys can give you a figure to start with. John Alan sid something like that because he told me he didn't understand transisters and prefered to use what he did understand

Armchair aka Glen in Yuma ;)

Thing is, I don't think I want to let them use a transformer, since the kids would probably love to see just how fast the train can go :eek:

Oh, I can *guarantee* they'll crank 'er up! - Preferably "flat-out" all the time!

What it seems to me you really want is to let 'em use the transformer, but flat out is restricted to, say, 50%?.... "Sorry dude, that's as fast as it goes!"......

As has been said, you've gotta add resistance to the output - That'll slow everything down.

I guess just one loco running at a time?

What's the rating of the transformer?

Hopefully, given those answers someone smarter than me will jump in with some ideas! ;)

I'm sorry, but I don't like the "auto-bulb" idea. Adjustability would also be nice - Come on guys - Someone must have done it! :)

Cheers,
Ian

The answer to your problem lies here http://www.tslrr.com/cabsmpl1.htm The micro switches give forward-stop-reverse. Speed is set by you, on the main controller elsewhere and the kids can't change it Ideal for children to operate ( nom drag racing(space shuttle launchesdrag- racing, or world speed record attempts) - ideal for timesaver contests, and ideal for small switching layouts - two of mine are shown on this page
http://www.carendt.us/scrapbook/page75a/

Kids will race it!,,,we all have!..
If no one can watch or be beside them they will open it up! I have a 4 year old who comes here and loves trains. He will open them up to break his bordom but he also loves to watch them slow. He amazes me that at 4 he turns them on slow from watching me and he'll go to a point on the layout, get down at eye level and watch them go by like we love to do.
If they are very small kids one thing you can do is set the transformer at a slow speed say 1/2 way, then keep it hidden under layout. Place a momentary switch at thier reach and the train runs at set speed untill they let go of the button. (or and click on/click off)
A local club here built a display in a mall and is coin operated giving the kids a chance to run multiple trains just by clicking the button. Nice money maker for the club.

Thanks guys, you're starting to get me thinking here.:D

Now I'm wondering if it's possible to modify Armchair's idea and use an old Tyco power pack to be nothing but a speed control. Basically, have the Railpower or Tech-whatever (the good transformer) plugged into the wall and set at, say, 50 per cent speed. One wire would run from the transformer straight to a feeder on one rail. The other wire, however, would run into the Tyco pack, connect to the Tyco pack's speed control, and then to a feeder on the other rail. The Tyco pack would not be plugged in (in fact, I would probably remove it's AC cord to begin with).

This way, the power going to the track could be varied by the kid, allowing him to change speed, but would still be ultimately determined by the transformer's settings. I may even be able to make the Tyco pack still control direction, too, (though an Atlas polarity-switcher could probably do the same thing, right?)

Crazy? Genius? Whaddya think?:)

Back