Train Clubs and Jail

D&J RailRoad

Professor of HO
Things have taken quite a twist since I ran for and won the V.P office with the PWMRC club last June.
Long story short, I discovered the treasurer had embezzled all our money from the bank account. Over $10K. He's under investigation now for a felony financial crime. Our president resigned and I was voted to the president slot by the remaining officers. We have two members who answered the call to fill the two officer vacancies. Funny thing about all this drama, our recent club meeting had the most in attendance since the late 90s.
Despite that, we are still moving along with our merger with the 501(c)3 status and overhauling our operating profile.

Congratulations to you. Will the club be able to recover the funds?
One way or another. By a restitution order or if he thinks it will help his case.
He fessed up to taking the money out after our own poking around found him on the bank camera bringing withdrawal slips to the teller window. It's all been turned over to an investigator.

That the last thing a club needs. They already run tight budgets as it is
Yeah, and in the midst of transitioning too. As if working through the mirid of new documents to align with the 501(c)3 status, the grant management processes, the replacement of by-laws with a new guidance document isn't enough work for me.
We had an opportunity to apply for a grant but that's out the window now for a year or so.
Lots of fallout from this but managing each one as they come up to the plate.

Still waiting for the investigator to assign a case number to this.
The embezzler still hasn't paid the money back but he attends our train shows and meetings.
At last night's meeting, I brought the whole club up to date on the chain of events that started back in spring of 2022. He tried to contest some of the notes that were lifted directly from meeting minutes. He had an opportunity to challenge the minutes before they became record, but he didn't. He also contested my referencing a recorded Zoom call. I reminded him Virginia is a one-party consent state for recording zoom and he had to check the acknowledgement box when he joined the call.

I've consulted already. The county investigator has been assigned to the case. Restitution will be part of the sentencing. This should be a slam dunk conviction as the details are well documented with our club minutes, bank statements and his own testimony on a recorded Zoom call about the issue. Wheels of justice turn very slow.
I'll prolly kick in a grand or two to keep things going and a few other members have offered the same.
He has assets. His wife is an SES for the government. A lien on his property or vehicle will recover.

Okay. That's good.
I was going to ask if he was going to be expelled from the club?
Kind of like what happens to an employee in a hostile termination.
Seems like I'm the only one who can confront the guy face to face. After I read the timeline of events, the by-laws that he violated, the number of times he lied to the officers then to the membership about the issue, I was expecting someone to make a motion to expel him. Didn't happen.

Seems like I'm the only one who can confront the guy face to face. After I read the timeline of events, the by-laws that he violated, the number of times he lied to the officers then to the membership about the issue, I was expecting someone to make a motion to expel him. Didn't happen.
Curious to know if there's some type of automatic action of expulsion for egregious acts?

20130112223020_JailBox.jpg

Back