Traction Problem

3030RICK

MY OLD POST WAR 0 GAUGE LIONEL ENGINE IS HAVING TROUBLE PULLING JUST A 2 PERCENT GRADE. ISN'T THERE A PRODUCT OUT THERE THAT I CAN APPLY TO THE WHEELS TO HELP THE OLD LADY UP THE HILL? THIS ENGINE IS A #675 AND DOESN'T HAVE MAGNATRACTION. aLL MY OTHER ENGINES PULL THE GRADE WITH NO PROBLEM. i WOULD ADD MORE WEIGHT TO THE UNIT BUT DON'T KNOW WHERE TO ADD IT.

tHANKS

I don't know anything about your engine, but I do know that if you coat even one set of drivers, you will lose the electrical continuity that the metal-to-metal contact is meant to afford to it.

Is it possible that something has shifted, bent, lost its alignment somehow that has meant the driving surfaces no longer have the purchase on the rail tops that they were meant to? If it was a good puller once, that would account for the problem now. Also possible is that the motor is in generally poor shape, or it and/or the gear tower(s) need cleaning and relubing....the engine is taking more juice to do what it did many years ago.

Are the tire surfaces, the ones on the drivers, in good condition?

I Was Under The Impression That The Electrical Power Was Supplied By The Center Rail And That The Current Was Transfered To The Driver Wheels. The Wheels Themselves Look To Be In Good Shape. What About More Weight To The Engine ?

Thanks
Rick

Are you using O gauge or O-27 tracks? Electrical power is picked up from the center rail and transferred to the driving wheels but that's not the issue. Lionel track surface is curved instead of flat and any misalignment of the wheels will cause them to loose tractive effort as they bend toward the outer curved surface of the rail. Selector was suggesting that you check all the wheels and side rods to make sure everything is still in correct alignment to the top of the rail. It's also very possible that the motor is just getting old and needs to have either a good cleaning and a relube job or that the brushes need to be replaced. Adding more weight to an engine which has been pulling well but now isn't will make the problem worse since the motor will overheat and lose even more efficiency. You have a mechanical or electrical problem and that needs to be tracked down and solved.

Go down to your local fleet & Farm or Farm & Fleet, what ever they call it and pick up a can of BELT-EASE. This is a product designed for belts on a farm tractor so they don't slip even after they are somewhat worn out. Apply a coat to one of the drive wheels on both sides of the loco. Make sure you let it dry properly. Then you should be able to tackle a 2% grade.

Jim

Back