Traction engine

Like this one:
2009_10180064.png

or this one?

2009_10180069.png

think "farm tractor" and you'll be a lot closer than "railroad locomotive".

There was a disaster a few years ago involving one of those steam tractors. The man driving the tractor was trying to cross the street to get desperately needed water when a "Barney Fife" cop stopped them and refused to allow them to cross the street. The driver was trying to explain to the cop he needed water, NOW, when the boiler ran dry and exploded, killing the driver and the cop.

The two pictures that I posted came from a farmer's annual 'steam day' He owns three of the traction engines (tractors). the steam truck that I posted, several small steam engines, a marion model 21 steam shovel, and a fairly large steam sawmill. The public are invited one day out of the year when he and a whole lot of friends fire up everything.
The steam shovel is amazing to watch operate. It moves alot faster than I thought it would:
2009_10180070.png

2009_10180071.png

If anyone wants I'll post the other pictures of the equipment and sawmill.

think "farm tractor" and you'll be a lot closer than "railroad locomotive".

Not so fast. The "Steam Tractor" is only one type of "Traction Engine". Most traction engines in the US were steam tractors, but in England, there other types too, including "Road Locomotives". Fancily painted and lit-up road locomotives could be used to supply power for rides at a fair.

Back