Track codes

maczimb

Hi Guys.
Another dumb question.
What is the difference between code 100 and code 83 track??
Is there some place where some of the railroad jargon is available to illiterates like me so that I don't have to keep embarrasing myself with these dumb questions.
Mac

Short answer to a not-so-dumb question: The rail on Code 100 measures 0.100 (one hundred one thousandths of an inch) height. Code 83 is 0.083" tall, and more scale-like in HO. I believe the same definition applies in other scales, but not sure. Perhaps someone else can chime in on that.

Tim

Many modellers contend that, once it is all nicely ballasted, the ballast and rails weathered, and a big steamer placed atop them, there is little difference in images between the Code 100 rails and the Code 83, for example. I disagree. I used Code 100 because it is readily available locally. Now, a couple of years later, I can definitely tell the difference. Code 100 scales out to about 170 lb/yard rail, somewhat larger than any every used for mainline service in N. America. The might PRR steamers used 150 or 155 lb/yd on their mains.

On the other hand, images depicting Code 83 and Code 70 track look much better in photographs. If you are certain that you'll never want to post images showcasing your modelling, Code 100 is the way to go for many people who want it quickly.

I use code 83 because atlas' code 100 track has black ties and code 83 has brown ties so I don't have to paint them. The way I look at it, if your railroad is that realistic that the rail being a little to big is your biggest problem then you're doing amazing.:D I think I would work on cars that sit at the same traffic light for years and the cars that move from siding to siding but never a loaded or unloaded would have priority.:D:D

Back