Track Close Along a Wall Behind a Viewblock

beiland

Track Close Along a Wall Behind a Viewblock

I was contemplating how close to the side wall of my layout I could place a long straight track that would sit behind a viewblock to disguise the train traveling behind the viewblock? Being a straight track I figured it could be as close as 1” to the centerline of the track, then another 1” to the viewblock.

But if long steam engines etc are going to be using that track, then clearances need to be allowed for the overhang swing of those engines as they entered and exited that track. I went back looking at my experiments with a number of locomotives, and discovered several that needed as much as 1+3/8” clearances,....like this Bachmann 4-8-4 Northern. (and the Big Boy & the PRR GG1, etc)
https://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/node/32599?page=6

https://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/node/32599?page=7

So my thoughts turned to whether I might make just the entrance and exit points have 1.5” clearance while the remainder had the 1” clearance? I decided to get out that engine and perform a little mock-up test on my outdoor work table.
DSCF4508.JPG

DSCF4509.JPG

(that white piece of plastic is 28.5" radius)

One end of that 'hidden track' was going to have a Peco large radius turnout on it. I took notice that the loco did NOT have that big 'tail swinging out motion' when utilizing this turnout!! In fact it was very little. I attributed that to the very large radius of the Peco turnout itself. It was acting like a very good 'easement'

Wow, could I disregard providing the full 1.5” wall clearance if I utilized this Peco turnout on the one end of the hidden track, and provided a corresponding easement on the other end?? I think so.
DSCF4517.JPG

DSCF4519.JPG

DSCF4521.JPG

Here is that large radius Peco coupled up with a fixed curve 24” radius and still no problem with the tail swing of that long loco. (BTW I don't intend to utilize that tight of a curve following the Peco large,...just experimented) Its made me a big believer in using as large of a radius Peco as I can anywhere on the layout.

DSCF4518.JPG

Does anyone see a problem with my analysis here?

I just think you're overthinking it.. If you can (of course) see the track/switch(s) from above as it looks like here, then you can see where track needs to be in order to not have loco/long passenger or other long cars not strike the wall.. If they are going to strike the wall what alternative(s) are there but to either re-position the track or reposition the wall/chop something away... Make sure to test both directions...
And yes, the widest radius curves you can fit (other than say if you want #4-5 switches in a yard latter) is the rule of thumb..same as the 1:1 scale...M

If you have any 85' passenger cars you might want to check their overhang on the curves as well. Sometimes the pivot points will be difference from that of the locomotives.

Bryan - I agree with Mark that you're overthinking it a bit. Easements which you mention above, would resolve the "jutting out" issue. What you're not thinking about is human clearances. With a 1" wall to centerline and another 1" to viewblock, you are giving yourself only 2" of clearance. My HO cars are 1 3/8" wide leaving only 5/8" for fingers to rerail cars when (not if) they derail. Yes I can grasp the tops of the cars, but it's the wheels that need attention, not the tops. Set up a couple of boxes 2" apart with track and cars down the center and see it your fingers fit.
My next thought is visual...while viewblocks are installed for a purpose, make sure that you can view down behind them. On lower levels there needs to be "body" clearance between levels to stick your head in to see behind them. On upper levels, a ladder or other type of perch will most likely be needed. Viewblocks can be made to be removable which could solve both issues, but they also need clearances.
Good luck.

@santafewillie
I'm hoping that a good bit of that view block might be constructed of just manila grade paper stock,....or better yet just be densely stacked containers that could be moved out of the way in case of emergency.

Back