Track clearance

budinoh

I am in the middle of installing my sub-roadbed on my N-scale layout. I am using 1/4" luann strips cut to hold Kato Unitrack. In one area of my layout I have a bridge that crosses the track over another track. My overall plan will be to have intermodal at some point after layout is running. I do not have any on hand so I am hoping someone can tell me what the clearance distance needs to be for a double stack husky well car to clear under the bridge. May run TOFC but don't think they are as tall. Need distance between TOR and bottom of bridge.

Thanks,
Jeff

Interesting that you'd ask this question right now. I just finished re-adjusting the roadbed on my layout to accommodate the intermodal units I just bought last week. My overpasses were just a bit too low to allow them to pass so I did some re-adjusting and since I built the open-grid benchwork system, it was pretty easy to do.

Here are some pics illustrating how much room you'll need between the roadbed and the overpasses.

2013-08-16+22.43.47.jpg

2013-08-16+22.36.37.jpg

2013-08-16+22.37.18.jpg

2013-08-16+22.37.53.jpg

Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Note that not all containers are built equal! The containers that come with the Kato MAXI wellcars pictured above are 8' prototypes, however some others on offer (including by Kato) are 8'6" prototypes. The difference is noticable.

Jeff,

I noted you are using 1/4" Luan to support your track. While 1/4" plywood will support the track it must be kept well supported by joists or risers every 16". If you are in a high humidity area, you might want to use a 12" spacing.

I usually target a 2" separation between levels to give me a little bit of "hand" space if I need to clean track or clean up the occassional derailment.

Glenn

Note that not all containers are built equal! The containers that come with the Kato MAXI wellcars pictured above are 8' prototypes, however some others on offer (including by Kato) are 8'6" prototypes. The difference is noticable.
Exactly.

Both the K Line and APL containers are made by Kato:

2013-08-17+08.56.14.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I had thought I had overdone it but my joist are about 9" apart and the roadbed is supported by 1x3 risers. I put the levels at 2" tall to be sure I left enough space.

Neat, but be careful. Our models tend to require more clearance than the prototype does. The NMRA gauge and their recommended practices will ensure you have enough room for everything.

Gotta get some stuff cleaned up before pics can come. With benchwork done, I can concentrate on organizing stuff underneath. Will post some soon.

For N-scale, I have always left 2 inches clearance between levels or more depending on the situation. Using an NMRA gauge will also make sure you have clearance but isn't needed if you stick with the 2 inch rule many of us use.

Back