Tortoise switch motors and a 3 way Peco turnout

OK, I'm about to order up my tortoise switch motors for my layout. I got to looking at the 3-way Peco turnout and am trying to figure out how to put the motors to work the three tracks that come off the Y. There are two levers on the turnout. If you push the one closest to the Y of the turnout it activates the middle track. If you pull the other lever it will move both frogs to engage the right turnout. Likewise if you push that same lever it will activate both to engage the left track. So here's the question. If I use two switch motors on the 3-way, getting the one to work is not a problem. It will just move back and forth because it doesn't move the other lever. On the other hand if I put a motor on the lever that moves both levers, isn't that going to "mess" with the other motor? (Wow, I'm not explaining this very good but I'm hoping those of you who have the Peco 3-way and tortoise switch motors will know what I'm talking about). I don't want to push two switches at the same time to make the thing work. Any ideas?

The issue is how you plan to operate the Tortoises. If it's from toggle switches, you'll have a problem because the two switches will be independent. You'd be better off doing it with electronics, then you can have interactions between the circuits. I can imagine doing it with an LM324 op amp and a bunch of resistors plus a diode or two.

Thanks John......(I think). The plan is install the tortoise switches first (with toggles) and then get the DCC system. I might know a guy who might be able to come up with something based on your recommendation. I'd still like to hear from more guys who use these things together. There's got to be a way that doesn't require an electrical engineering degree to figure out. That wouldn't be much fun.And this is supposed to be fun.....Right? Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

I agree with John P in that it is how you plan to operate your three way turnout, however I don't think you need to resort to electronics. The problem is that, your three way turnout has, by definition, three ways that you can set it and your two toggle switches together will have four ways. One of them will be wrong!

You could try a three way rotary switch. These come with four poles so you can control the two tortoises separately (2 + 2). Make a note of the positions of the switches for the required way i.e. whether the first switch or second switch is normal or reverse for left, right and straight on, then think how you are going to do it with the rotary switch. Line up the rotary switch so that you turn from left to straight on to right. Don't forget the power will still need to go to to both tortoises even on the way that switch won't need to move. If necessary get the first switch working first and then on to the next.

Let us know how you get on.

Thanks Alien,
I was starting to think the same thing and kicking around the two double pole double throw switches along with a 4 pole double throw switch. Your rotary switch idea does sound a lot simpler and more efficient and would be easier to keep track of. Both would be a matter of getting the hard wiring correct to the one lever to move or the other and then both for the three different directions. I'm open to all ideas but that three way is going to take the most effort to get it right. I'm sure once I figure it out I'll stand back and say, "geez! that was a lot simpler than I tried to make it". ......Or maybe just to opposite. (hope not). Later.................Mike

Back