Tortise and elevations.

mike8693

So my plan is to have my track anywhere from 6 to 14in from bottom of the benchwork so was wondering if I could just get thicker wire for the tortise and make it that long or what to do. I will be using extruded foam for scenery if that matters. Thanks.

Do you mean using the Tortises for under layout switch machines? Six inches is probably doable with some stout piano wire. Fourteen inches seems like you're going to be stretching the laws of physics. :) You would really need some hefty brass or steel rod to stand up to the kind of stress that the throw length would put on both the Tortise and the switch. I'm not really sure the standard Tortises has enough torque to reliably throw a switch from 14 inches. If your switches are sprung, like Peco's, it might work since the switch has a short travel and the points are held in position by the switch's spring. If they are unsprung, like Atlas, the Tortise probably doesn't have the torque to tightly hold the points against the stock rail. Is there a way you can conceal the Tortises in the scenery for these extremely long throws?

If you're talking about track mounted on styrofoam or such, like the WS risers, try pre mounting the tortoise under the switch with a small piece of wood then digging out the foam to fit. You'll find it much more stable and reliable than a long throw.

Back