Torn On Layout Height

brubakes

I'm torn on how high I want my layout to be. Are their guidelines or suggestions on how high to make the layout? The one book I have said 40" to 50". 50" seems WAY to high and I'm 6'1". Right now I'm going back and forth between 40" and 42" to the top of the 2" foam.

Mine is 42" high. I'm the same heighth as you & it's real easy to lay track, put in scenery, etc. Also, my boards are only 3ft deep. If they are any deeper than that, you won't be able to reach the back of the layout w/out crawling up on the tops.
Most people make them eye level for better realism. I'm not realistic, so, I did them for more comfortable working conditions.

Larry

Put it at a height that is comfortable for you to work on.
You will spend more time with it than anyone.

im with larry on this one.. I dont know exactly how high mine is but it is about 40-45" I dont like the eye level hight layouts as if you cant see the layout and all its details why even have anything but track up there. IMO its like trying to see the cookie jar on top of the fridge when you were 5 and couldent reach! I also maintain 3' depth to keep the whole layout in reach. the one spot that is 4' is where all the trains will derail!

Trent

Whatever you decide, Just remember if you plan on using 2 inch foam on top of the benchwork, to calculate it in the final number. just a lesson learned ;)

Well I'm another one with Larry, PartsM and Trent.
Mine is at 46" as I find that more to my comfort (inclusive of the wiring underneath). I'm 5'-11" and have a pretty good reach. It was 30" wide but on the new one it'll be 36"
If you are going to have big hills type terrain then a 40" or 42" height may be the best height for acess to the top of the hills when doing scenery.
But the first consideration, as the Parts M says
Put it at a height that is comfortable for you to work on.
You will spend more time with it than anyone.

Cheers
Willis

Ditto on the 42 in. , seems just right for me at 5'10' most tables are 24" wide so all is esay to reach.

I placed mine at 50" which is right for me. I do particularly do not like looking down on a layout other wise you feel like a giant. Most model railroad "experts" will say you want a side view of the layout which is nearly at, or slightly above eye level. Since I prefer shelf layouts, everything is happening in the foreground and that is were you concentrate on detailing. However, it has to be comfortable for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
My layout is at a height of 50 inches. At a depth of 24 inches I can reach as well as I'd like to. My first layout was waist high. As someone else said, I didn't like looking down on the scene. It was hard to isolate the scenes from each other. It was also a 4x8, so that probably had as much to do with my opinion as anything else. I certainly wouldn't want a layout any higher than what I have now though.

Thanks for all the responses. I think I am going to shoot for 42" at the top of 2" foam. At least until I change my mind again.....

Mine is also at 42". At that height, it's easy to work on and you can also sit on a stool to be more at eye level.

That was easy. Now ya got me thinking about what height the lowest level of my layout should be. There will be three levels to start with running the length of the basement. I will probably add another two runs at a later date. I want to have 15" from railhead to the next higher railhead on the end loops and the shelves will be no more than 9" wide along the walls, on self supporting, extruded foam of course.
So I'm thinking, if I establish the lowest level at 30" off the floor, the loop at the other end of the basement will be 37.5", the loop above the lowest loop will be 45" off the floor and so forth. The run distance between loops is a little over 70'. I intend for the loop operating surface to be no more than 2' deep with a 46" radius on the outside track. The lowest and highest loop will be a single track loops to turn the train around. The intermediate loops will be double tracked.

Back