Tool to assist in cutting gaps in rails

fcwilt

Hi,

My layout is computerized and as such it is divided into a number of electrically isolated blocks. To do this the blocks need gaps or insulated rail joiners in both rails, at both ends of the block.

Normally I isolate the blocks using insulated rail joiners when I am laying the track.

But sometimes I later find that one block should have been two or that I just plain messed up and forgot to use insulated rail joiners - the joys of getting older. :rolleyes:

Cutting gaps with cutting disc in a Dremel tool is fast but on occasion, in the past, the cutting disc has snagged the rail and damaged the track - probably due to my shaky hands.

I devised this little device, made from brass, to try out and it is working well for me.

There are two pieces that fit snugly between the rails and another piece that fits outside the rails and hold everything together. You can see the two slots which provide clearance for the cutting disc.

To use the tool I hold it down with my left hand and use my right hand for the Dremel. I also use a finger of my right hand to steady the Dremel during the cut.

I've used this a number of times and now when the cutting disc snags, the track is not damaged - at least so far.

In any case I now approach cutting gaps in existing track with much less worry then I used to.

Attachments

• Tool Parts.jpg
    Tool Parts.jpg
    262 KB · Views: 144
  • Spacers In Place.jpg
    Spacers In Place.jpg
    262.9 KB · Views: 152
  • Ready To Cut.jpg
    Ready To Cut.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 153
Last edited by a moderator:
That's a pretty complex jig. Typically when track has pressure on it from swelling of the wood roadbed, it will want to push together when you cut it. That will make it cinch the Dremel cutting disc. Usually in situation like that, I'll gradually cut the track, leaving just a little at the bottom then widening the gap a little more than the width of the disc so when I do cut all the way through, it doesn't cinch the cutting disc.

Yes I have successfully cut track in the past but I did damage the track on occasion, for whatever reason.

This device didn't take long to make, just two sizes of brass strip, cut and soldered together.

And it has, so far, prevented me from damaging the track when the disc has snagged.

Nice jig fcwilt - am sure that would come in very handy and would save having to use insulated joiners whch, I find, to be too flexible and difficult to position.

Back