Too many locos?

402drvr

So I have been paying attention to the prototype I am looking to model (The Berskshire Sub) of CSX line between Boston and Albany. I have noticed the Amtrak service that d=goes through. I think it is a part of the Lakeshore Limited but not certain. Anyway, I notice it often runs with three locos. Two cabs in the same direction and then another pushing in reverse. I get why they would have a cab on each end forgoing each way but why three? The train usually has maybe five cars total. Seems like overkill, or are they probably just relocating one of the locos?

The B&A was the most grueling part of the old NYC, and it's been home to all of NYC and Conrail's Latest and Greatest locomotives. Amtrak may use the extra unit to keep up the schedule, or it may be a power move to get units where they're needed. Do you know if another section is picked up or dropped off anywhere enroute?

The B&A was the most grueling part of the old NYC, and it's been home to all of NYC and Conrail's Latest and Greatest locomotives. Amtrak may use the extra unit to keep up the schedule, or it may be a power move to get units where they're needed. Do you know if another section is picked up or dropped off anywhere enroute?

They were running with a rear unit cause the line that connects the Boston Line to Albany (Post Road Branch) had a washout so the trains had to go down the Castleton cutoff and reverse directions to Albany. The Boston sections 2 locos are the units that take the train to Chicago so thats why they have 2 units up front. The New York section comes up with 1 P32DC as it has 3rd rail shoes for use in Penn Station where diesels are not to be run. The NYC section unit is taken off and the boston section gets tacked on top of the NYC section power and all forming the full lakeshore consist to Chicago.

Last edited by a moderator:
hHere is a pic of the Lakeshore Limited heading West at CP111 in Westfield, MA on 4/2/11

1237754556_szvRR-M.jpg

Back