Thoughts on my new layout plan?

SigfanUSAF

Gunsmith
The shelf would be 12" wide, with a 1x4 facia in addition to that. 12" metal angle brackets every 16" would support the shelf, while the 4x8 portion would be framed like a wall, as I plan on building it into a bookshelf/storage center underneath.
1 foot grid, with overall dimensions of 14'8" by 16' 3".
Track centers would be 2" apart, with centers at 1, 3, 5 ,7, 9, & 11" in the yard.
Radius on the 4x8 would be 22", with a 24 or 26"r on the SW corner curve.

I will eventually put a plasma TV over the fireplace, and the couch will be at a 45 degree angle opposite the fireplace. I have no other living room furniture, other than maybe a bookcase for the east wall.

Why the living room? I have a three bedroom house, occuppied by me and my two sons. This seems like the only real option for a workable railroad.

My only other thought would be a 2x8 table and eliminate the loop, thus why I didn't put any sidings on there for now. Any input is welcome.
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q9/SigfanUSAF/layoutjpg-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like a plan and will definately get the visitors attention. I would go 18" and space the yard tracks a bit more on the south wall if you have the space. Go with the 4x8 and put a siding or two in the middle. Another option would be 3x8 and forget the loop and put your turntable on that side for more space and easier access.
Good idea and good luck

I really like the layout of the second version except that I would like better access to the turntable. Addition of an industry looks to be a good idea too.

I'd say keep the 2nd version. If you really really want a loop, just add a 4x4 "blob", instead of the whole 4x8.

I do think you can add an industry on an island (maybe 16X16?) near the giant yard.

I agree with the above.

Turntable behind the sofa is a little hard to work--unless the sofa moved easily.

I'd either make a reverse loop near the kitchen door or extend the runaround so that just a double headed engine can runaround and bring the train back.

Great ideas guys, thanks!

Here's what I've come up with so far....

The yard:
12" is the max shelf width, however I may go from 5 to 4 tracks to increase track centers.

The turntable:
You guys are correct, access will be difficult. However, the engine yard is mostly for looks, as I have a useless ton of Guilford Rail System dummies as well as some "run through" power, NS, CSX, etc. The engine yard would be more "decorative storage" if you will. I have Atlas SD26 #643 and GP40 #378 that will be usually paired for the mainline freight. All they'll need to do is park on a fueling track from time to time. My local is Atlas GP7 #14, which probably won't get switched out often. This is the theory anyway.
I have decided the turntable is too much, and may go with a homebuilt 4 track transfer table instead. I have inspiration from this pic of MMAs table in Derby, Maine:
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=188807&nseq=14

Lastly, the table, I'm thinkinbg 3x8........to be modeled as a port in Maine where I grew up. Please take a look at the two links below, you'll see where I got the ideas for my piers. Of course, the lines were abandoned in the late 70s, and the 3 of the piers have fallen into the sea, with the fourth (bottom one on the layout) losing half it's dock in a ca. 1991 storm.

http://www.tidesinstitute.org/tides/panorama/eastportaerial1964/eastportaerial1964-1large.html
http://www.tidesinstitute.org/tides/panorama/eastportaerial1964/eastportaerial1964-2large.html

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q9/SigfanUSAF/Eastport.jpg

Here's the latest revision, I added some industries and a river crossing. Also made the 45 degree "wedge" between the south and west wall shelves bigger to better accomodate the engine servicing area, and followed the suggestion to reduce the tracks from 6 to 5 in the yard.

The red track shown will be a slight downhill grade, to go to hidden staging under the right hand side of the layout.

Buildings 3&4 won't be serviced by rail, but are there to hide the track going down.
Building 6 will be a gas station, and will get tank car service.
For 9 I'm thinking a small power plant perhaps?

Any suggestions on how to layout the rest of the 3x8 section?

layoutjpg.png

A few points.

1) 3ft wide is a little much to reach a cross. If you have it, take a look at Model Railroad Planning 2008, I think page 64, and look at the picture of the guy reaching across the layout to uncouple cars at 29" from the edge of the layout. He is 6'3". In your corner, your reach will be more like 42" Think in terms of a 30" wide shelf max--at least until you get to within 4' of the kitchen area then you could go as wide as you want--say 5 foot.

2) You start your decent to staging in the upper corner of the 3 x 8 sheet. Even with a 3% decent, you won't even clear the framework of you layout when you reach the kitchen door. If you want to add staging, make one of your yard tracks, the one near the edge, the one you build to go to the main or exchange track. Then swap cars out with cars below on shelves. These new cars now represent an incoming train.

3) The balance between your yard and the industries you serve is heavily weighted toward yard work. That's okay, as long as you can come up with an operating plan that will keep it interesting for you.

4) A 9 inch turntable is pretty small. Check and see if your engines will fit on it. I'm using a nine-incher with small steam in 1909 and my son's 1920's 2-8-0 barely fits with the edges of the wheels hanging off.

5) Since you can't use staging anyway, you could extend the track at #9 to service 3 & 4.

6) A barge at the end of the 3 x 8 area could create a cassette that could hold as many as 12-15 cars and serve as the staging on that side of the layout.

SpaceMouse, thanks for the great pointers!

1) I don't yet have Model Railroad Planning 2008, but the 30" idea sounds true enough, and wouldn't effect what I've got. I'll redraw that area tonight....

2) Another good point.......

3) I love yardwork:) I'll probably spend time swapping engines around the enginehouse too. You know, Guilford and broken down engines:rolleyes:

4) The biggest engines to use the turntable will be one of two Athearn/RPP SD45s (measures 8.5" pilot to pilot). My thinking is an old B&M or Maine Central yard updated by Guilford, thus the small "old" turntable and a "new" enginehouse.

5) Great idea!

6) Again....back to re-thinking the right hand staging.......

Revised again following SpaceMouses excellent recommendations. I'm quite happy with the area left of my bridge.
Though I am currently at a loss as far as my 30" shelf goes :)

Any thoughts?

Locale: Guilford in Maine, freelanced location. Could use an interchange with my MB&SM (Massachusetts Bay and Southern Maine railroad)........coastal or inland, unsure at this point. I'd love to do a small port, but I am leary about modelling that much water.

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q9/SigfanUSAF/needhelp.jpg

Sig, where you at? I'm in Bath. Would be up work the occasional work gang if you like.

I'm just outside Charlotte North Carolina :(

I lived in Maine from 1983 to 1998, and moved here after my Air Force tour in 2001. I was stationed at Pope AFB in Fayetteville, so I kinda stayed in the neighborhood.

Check this plan out. It is part of a challenge to build a layout on a 4 x 8 sheet of plywood cut up any way you want. Notice the top part of the layout, the barge. Notice that it only takes up 12"--so that leaves 18" behind it to put in things like warehouses, etc, like he has shown on the bottom portion of the layout. To give him credit, his screen name is Stein and he hails from Norway.

brooklyn3.jpg

Based on Chips suggestion, here's my idea.......
A carfloat for additional staging, but as my realestate is valuable, how about a roll around "diorama" if you will, of 18" to 20" x 60", to house the float and a tug?

This size would fit in my laundry room when not in use.

bigun3.png

Dude! How did you get that pic of your layout on your post??? I want to know how to do that!!! Its so clear and informative of the layout. Can you tell me how?

I drew them in MS Paint, and saved it as a bmp file(it will automatically). I then photoshop it only to change it to a jpg file, without resizing it. Upload to photobucket and you're done!

Dude! How did you get that pic of your layout on your post??? I want to know how to do that!!! Its so clear and informative of the layout. Can you tell me how?

ETA: Just realized you can leave out the photoshop :) Just select .JPG in Paint when you save it, then upload to photobucket...

Back