Thoughts for a Train

Dualcore

I have planned a HO layout for a long time, but room just doesn't permit. I am reduced to starting on a 1x4ft board. I purchased a Unitrack N-scale K-1 track set on ebay yesterday, I hope I can deal with the smaller size.
As I contemplate my layout options, I imagine a time when I have more room. I will convert to HO, and use the N scale track for a narrow gauge mine run.
Then, I could run every scale from N to On30. If I make sure that I never run anything longer than a Harriman 60ft passenger car(HO gauge), I can stick to 22in radius curves.
Sometimes things do happen for a reason........

Sounds like a good way to find opportunity in adversity. Everything will come in its own good time.

I got a copy of Industries Along the Tracks vol2. In the back of the paper industry section, there is a plan for the Gordon Paper Co. I modified it to N scale. It fits on a 35x60in board.

You may find, like I did, that you like N scale better then HO.

I switched from HO to N back in the dark ages (the mid 1980's) and I found that the scenic possibilities were far better in N. Also, since many things have not been modelled in N scale, scratchbuilding and kitbashing is all the more necessary if you want that one unique thing. At times though, I wax philosophical about the ability to just run to the LHS and pick up a nice new 4-6-0 Manchester without having to break out every tool I own and tear into one or two otherwise perfectly good loco's to come up with one.

My primary scale is N Scale and my secondary is HO that I use at the local club.

Now if I may.

A 1x4ft board isn't very big even for N Scale.I won't even consider that size for my N Scale ISLs...If possible a 1x5' or 1x6' is far better.Yes that 1 or 2 feet makes a difference.

Here's a nice thing about these small layouts...Between operation sessions I simply stand my layout up in a corner since it only takes a few minutes to sit these layouts up..

I use 2 wood TV trays for "legs".These can be folded and stored out of the way...

However..

As a bachelor I can use the dinning room table instead..I use a cheap table cloth to protect the table and use 1 of the trays for meals.

You find plans in the most unexpected places. In the Dec issue of MR, I found the article about troubleshooting a DCC based layout, and his layout, broken down into power dristricts. I realized that each section of his layout would make a complete layout in its own right. So I scanned in the center section, and drew it out using Anyrail.
I had to break my plan into three pieces; am using the demo version till payday.
The plan is 9ft accross, each isle is about 6ft long.

I made up a larger industrial area for the double loop. I also thought about configuring it for a small mine.

Apppreciate the invite, but I am confined to a wheel chair; my bench height is confined to 30in.
I hadn't thought about modeling this area. I ran a long-haul truck for 30 years; there's a lot of country more interesting than around here.

Nothing beats browsing thru the Walthers catalog. A Woodland Scenics grass mat, with my unitrack bonded to it with latex caulk. What could be less expensive?? Using the Gordon Paper layout I posted earlier, holly cow, I got a layout.
Having said that, I love adapting track plans from other scales. On pg 45 of "102 Realistic Track Plans" is plan #53, Pittsburg Steel. Running this in HO limits it to an 18in radius. Converting to N allows me to run 89ft slag buckets.

When I first got started in this hobby, (2003) I bought a boat-load of HO Bachmann EZ track. A long time later, I figured out that:
1.) I don't have room for a decent HO road.
2.) EZ track turnouts are made with a curve so sharp; no passenger cars allowed.
So I switched to N scale.
Now, seven years later, I have finally figured out, that EZ track is not made for HO, it's made for On30. Well, hell. I got enough track to make an above-the-door layout around my 20x30ft den. HOT DAMN.

Finally getting all my ducks in a row. Drew up this plan from 102 Realistic Track Plans,
found an old MRC 6200 xformer, won a Kato F7 in red/silver warbonnet, two k1 and one v1 Unitrack sets.
The table is 35"x60", turnouts are #4 , curves are 12 3/8", grid is 2".
I can't draw worth a tinker's damn, but i can lay track with the best of 'em.
Guess I will have to bite the bullet and pay for Anyrail. :rolleyes:

I've found a good place to start. The table is on casters, so I can get all the way around. table is 35"x60", curves are tight 9 3/4", turnouts are #4. I got a lot of points to file. When I have room, I will bolt it to a wall in a corner and run extensions off each end.
On the west side, turn the yard lead south, pick up the main and continue south. On the east side turn the main north, pick up the yard exit and turn east.
I started with the idea of an intermodal yard, or a paper mill, but it morphed into this.
Oh well, a new yard will give me somewhere for the bulk deliveries to come from and a paper mill will supply packaging material.
Gee, got extensions planned, ain't even got track layed yet. I always did get ahead of myself.....

Back