Thinning acrylic paints?

JIMBETHYNAME

Building a RR empire
:confused: What type of thinning agent should I use to make an acrylic wash? Denatured alcohol? agua?windex? thinner?
I am lost, lol:eek:
Thanks,
jim

I'm sure you'll get lots of answers , but I've always used good old water. Get it mixed well before using.

For making a wash, I would not use water, as the surface tension in the water can make the wash bead up. If you do use water, get the distilled stuff, not tap water.

I use imitation windex to thin for most washes and airbrushing. If you want a glossly surface, you can thin with future floor polish. Be careful using alcohol in washes, as it can attack the paint you are applying the wash over. This can be a useful effect in weathering though.

isopropyl alcohol works great for me, as Fred said, water isn't good for reasons of surface tension. Alcohol is a great wetting agent. Alcohol also evaporates faster, speeding drying time.

A good rule of thumb is that if water will thin it, isopropyl alcohol will thin it better.

Haven't I read that windshield washer fluid works good for acrylics in air brushes? I know that water always gives me a problem with clogging.

and I believe windshield washer fluid is mostly....alcohol. the blue color might be a bit funky in the paint, tho.

can't see as how it couldn't. isopropyl alcohol (which is clear) is available at most drug stores in pints, sometimes 3-4 for a dollar.
LOL, I broke down and went up to the bodega and dropped $1.99 a bottle,lol:eek:
Tonight I weather!!!!!!
Thanks for your help. I'll let you know how it turns out(maybe, lol)

I just use straight isopropyl alcohol (80%) and have never had a problem with the alcohol attacking the plastic. It does a much better job thinning acylics than water, even water with a few drops of dishwashing detergent, which is what I used to use. I find acrylics still don't produce as good an effect as lacquer based paint but it's pretty close when cut with alcohol.

I just use straight isopropyl alcohol (80%) and have never had a problem with the alcohol attacking the plastic. It does a much better job thinning acylics than water, even water with a few drops of dishwashing detergent, which is what I used to use. I find acrylics still don't produce as good an effect as lacquer based paint but it's pretty close when cut with alcohol.
I dont really want to mess with laquer in the house. Plus my 5 1/2 yr old daughter wants to help some.

Having always used floquil or Scalecoat laquer paints when airbrushing thought i'd chime in with a couple questions of my own

Caught the blurb on future floor wax for a gloss coat....does this really work?
And on that subject are there no really good fairly high gloss acrylic paints in railroad colors available on the market?

If you use windshield wash, use the blue stuff. The Blue has an alcohol base to keep it from freezing, the Pink has a sort of vinegar base for cleaning the splattered bugs off.

Cheers Willis

Back