Thinking of the steam era....

SNE

Hi guys!! I've always been a modern modeler, I think that because being 38 I've never seen steam in person.
However I've always wanted to model a certain road (the never completed southern New England). in the early 40s war time. This is going to sound funny.... But I'm so clueless when it comes to steam!!! How reliable are n scale steam engines? I'm almost set on a track plan, theme with my 10 x 6 space, can someone give me a crash course on New England steam in the early 40's? Or at least point me in the right direction! Thanks!

Joe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

N scale steamers are pretty reliable, but they are more finicky than diesels. Your track work has to be a little better with steamers. This is mostly due to the pilot wheels and trailing trucks ( the 4 and the 2 in a 4-6-2) which have little weight to them, so bounce off track fairly easily on any track imperfections. Sorry, I'm a western modeler, so eastern roads aren't my strong point, but I'm sure someone will jump in shortly with some good advice.

Most conventional off the shelf steam locomotive's would probably be appropriate. The Southern New England was chartered as an extension of the Grand Trunk. I would start with their roster.

I model all time spans from 1800s (think wild west) to today. I have 2 fav steamers. One is the cab-forward (intermountain) and more recent Bachmann 1225,a 2-8-4. I did say I include modern, such as French TGV (Kato) and several generations of Bullet trains. The 2 mentioned steamers both have DCC w/ SOUND, so does my N&W J-class. The Bachmann 2-8-4 has sound that defies what one would expect, It is my favorite for a sound loco. (I have the Piere Marquette 1225)

I have several old trix steamers that still run great.

One advantage of OWNING your own railroad is YOU make all the rules.

If I had to settle for only one steam loco, It would be the new Bachmann 2-8-4 with SOUND, its impressive. I also have an old Big Boy & Challenger that still run. I do not abuse my trains, but I DO RUN them.

JD

I'd love to have one with sound that's the plan!! Is there a better performing track? Meaning I've always used atlas code 80, is there one that performs better? I'm thinking of the atlas code 55. Or peco code 55.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have always ran code 80. Code 55 is smaller/lower rail and I expect be more prone to derailments with some trains. Maybe someone with some real life experience with 55 will jump in here.

I used atlas code55 for my last several layouts. As long as you don't have old rolling stock it works great.

Code 55 would preclude my using some of my ole favs. I have N scale locos & rolling stock going back to the 80s. Even my Bachman E-60, my very first Nscale loco from the mid 80s, not only still runs good, but I converted it to DCC! I do not like to LIMIT myself on Nscale options.

JDs tupence 4 2 day

Back