The Value Of Used Buildings

koolmath5

I would like to start out by saying I am not a Master Model Builder and I can only hope to be on a level of many of the modelers on this site. That being said I have found a way to stretch my layout budget so a little will go a long way. I purchase used buildings and parts from layouts that have been disassembled and sold. My local railroad shop, the Electric Train Depot in Pontchatula, Louisiana, has many of these buildings that are perfect for my HO layout.

Most of these used buildings are sold packaged in plastic bags with prices written on the bag. Prices range from 5.00 dollars to 20 dollars. Most of the buildings are missing little pieces, are poorly painted, not painted, or falling apart. The buildings I find I like the best are the ones that have all of the structural pieces. I can replace windows and add details from my bits box. If the building has all of the doors and windows I am set. Even if it does not have the doors and windows I can cast copies from existing structural parts.
bagofbarn.jpg

The first thing I do is disassemble as much of the building as possible. I remove all of the windows, scrape any globs of glue, paint, and details still existing. When the building is cleaned up I prime them using white or black primer depending on it's final color. I found most industrial buildings I prime flat black and for civilian buildings I use flat white. I prefer the Army Primer Brand primers and acrylic paints to finish the buildings. After they are painted I print my own decals, signs, and window images. I also use various homemade washes to weather my buildings before sealing them with an acrylic sealant.
usedbarn1.jpgusedbarn2.jpgusedbarn3.jpg
By purchasing many of my structures this way I have been able to create a wonderful layout. It also leaves me enough money in my budget to purchase the occasional larger structure and scenery materials to increase the detail level of my layout. If anyone has any additional information on how I can increase the detail level and quality of my structures.

I've made a few purchases in this direction. However, I haven't really had the chance to do all the legwork to get them looking right. I'm at odds as to whether it's more or less time consuming to do this.

Thoughts?

probably a bot more time consuming. price vs. time, would depend on which matters to you. if you know your layout is temporary, then why buy a new unbuilt kit if you can get one someone else put together for half the price. besides, they can make good scrap pieces for the new paint technique, or weathering idea.

Hi, I've bought a few secondhand built-ups myself, not nearly as many as you have though. Seeing the high quality of your barn, it appears you already know most of the tricks of this trade.

Here is a pair of 'before' and 'after' photos of a structure I picked up at a train show for $10:

BuiltUpStorefront_02.jpg

LaundryRear02.jpg

BuiltUpStorefront_01.jpg

LaundryFront02.jpg

I always try to cover up any bare plastic, with colors that seem more 'believable' to my eye.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the barn looks very good :). The building in the other post looks good too. I have always bought my stuff new and have recently bought a couple of cars on eBay. I haven't received either yet but I am hoping I don't regret it. One was a new Walthers Gold Line and the other was an older Athearn flat car. Time will tell. I did bid on a structure a couple of months ago but I lost that auction...grrrr.

If anyone has any additional information on how I can increase the detail level and quality of my structures.

Well if the building had access to electricity, depending on the year(s) you model, you could simulate the wires going to the building from the utility poles, splash up on the building from the rain if located on dirt or clay, remember, this would only go up the building from the bottom edge to about 18-36" above the bottom of the building. This would be mostly on the sides that face the weather and not so much on the sides that don't. Pile some more junk up around the sides like a lumber pile or two, some concrete blocks or a brickpile. Maybe a busted tractor or some old farm equipment like plows, cultivators, etc.

Thats just a couple off the top of my head. I'm sure I can think of more, but not knowing your vision of your layout, I'd hate to step on some toes.

That building looks much better now. The original color made it look like it was carved out of a block of chedder cheese or something. Plastic always has a greasy look to it. Flat colors make plastic look better.

If you can see the back of the building, place trash can (55 gal. oil drums, suitably "dinged", rusty, etc.). Also, there are some kneeling figures that can be grouped in a circle (at least one of them needs to have one arm raised). Around the corner, a policeman could be directing traffic, oblivious to the crap game going on in the alley!:p

I pickup second hand buildings at the monthly show in Wheaton Il. Two years ago I picked up two big bags of buildings for $10 total. Several are now on my layout. I recently posted a Plasticville bank I purchased last year. I enjoy fixing them up and finding a home for them. Good cheap fun.

Gary,

That house looks like the old "ranch" house model that Atlas used to offer. I always thought that "modern split level" was a better name match. Don't know how long since I've seen one.

That's the DuPage County Fairgrounds, right? It's been on my list for years to check that out...

There is a lot more three rail there than anything else these days. Still it's a neat way to spend the day. You should go to the December or January show as they are the most heavily attended by dealers. They want that Christmas money!!!

One I did and two to do. Anyone know who produced that house model?

View attachment 39243

The preassembled house model on the wood base was made by Life-Like in the 1970s. Life-Like made three different HO scale houses that were preassembled and mounted on the wood bases. Four screws in the wood base, held a plastic frame over the house and shrink wrap covered the frame protecting the structure in shipping and on store shelves. I remember an over size "for sale" sign being in the front yard of each house which accounts for two additional holes in the front yard. When I was a kid I bought one of these assembled split level houses known as the "Kramer House". I always thought it looked like the Brady Bunch house. I still have the house on its wood base sitting on a shelf, but it would need cleaning and repairing before use. These were made as preassembled models for a year or two, then replaced with kit forms of the same houses. The kits were available for many years (may even still be available). http://www.google.com/imgres?hl=en&...ndsp=19&ved=1t:429,r:7,s:0,i:100&tx=122&ty=54

LLTypicallySuburbia.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Back