The Riveter- is it good buy?

The Riveter- good tool?

Hi all

recently i started in a new scratchbuild project which required riveting, i bought from my lhs low cost pounce wheel. i though its a good solution but i found it not very precise. anyway, i thought to but the NWSL's sensi-press along with the riveter- now i want to know if any of you have any opinion/ experience. is it accurate? worth the money- or is there other solution to make rivet in ho scale model?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've used those wheels to make rivets before and they work fine for plastic and soft metals. If you're doing brass, the NWSL unit would work better.

I have the Sensi Press and Rivet tool, they are the greatest. Accurate? With the adjustment wheel, you can precisely set a line of rivets the same space apart with no problem. A fair amount of work to use though, as doing many lines of rivets on a sheet means it has to be moved the exact distance, and this takes time. I've mostly done my riveting on .005" styrene, then applied it to the models which were made of thicker styrene. Thicker styrene doesn't take the rivets as good.

Here's my most intense riveting project, with over 1500 rivets. Guess that makes me a rivet counter!

CNDoubleplow1.jpg

I have to agree with Bob. I have had one for over 20 yrs, and for precise rivet spacing, its the best. You can (could) even buy different size dies to make larger rivets. It does take a fair amount of work to use, as it is a manual operation. But unless you have access to a setup I saw on one of the Keller videos, (a mini lathe was set up to automatically punch rivets into a strip of brass or styrene,) you won't find a better tool for making them.

Back