The newest rookie...

Hey all...
Just wanted to introduce myself, as it says...grew up with the ol' round-the-Christmas-tree in HO and then N scale (my dad's creations, not mine), then my dad built a small layout in the old coal shed of the house...again, just a loop for running the many trains we've collected (my brothers as well) with a little bit o' scenery and stuff.

Now, I'm ready to build a layout for myself -- and like my dad, I have a very small room with which to work until my kiddos get bigger and need less play room in the basement. I've read a few things here and there and am ready to jump in. I'm about to post my layout plan to make sure I'm not missing anything, so I appreciate any/all comments. :)

Thanks for having me!

I'm no mod or administrator, just a fellow traveler. Welcome to the Asylum, it's all good! You will get as many questions asked of you as you will ask on here but its all to better understand what you are doing and how we can help.

DC or DCC?

What scale are you doing?

What control system do you use?

What era or specific railroad (if any) do you "model"? (Not a necessity but many do "zero in" on certain stuff, not me I like it all too much and will run anything behind anything! Again, it's ALL good!)

Ask, ask, ask, your questions will help many, most probably me!

Happy Rolling

Thanks new guy...to answer your questions:

DC (to start...if I build a larger layout someday down the line, maybe DCC, but we'll see)
HO scale is all I have...my dad has a bunch of N Scale, but more HO scale.
Control system? Ha ha ha...haven't gotten that far. ;)
I'm in Chicago, and grew up here -- and just about every roadname touches Chicagoland -- so I've amassed a bit of a variety of things. However, the small layout I'm attempting to build will "focus" on CP and CN...that said, I have some Belt RR stuff, IHB, and even an L&N engine that I've snagged over the years. So it will be a mishmash. Period-wise, definitely a mix of the last 50-60 years or so, with probably a heavier emphasis on the last 30. I don't have any steam at all, or much in the way of "early" freight. Mostly more modern stuff that was around during my lifetime and just before. :)

Thanks for asking...and I hope I can be of help to SOMEONE. :)

Welcome to the forum Andy. I think that's your name.
You'll get a lot of inspiration here from selection of scale, era to model, road name selection, operating system and layout construction.
If you have a couple hours to waste, you can check the link in my signature to see the empire I am working on in my basement.

Thanks Ken...yes, it's Andy. :)

I will definitely take a look at your empire when I have some time. I'm sure it'll provide some great inspiration too!

Welcome.gif Welcome to the forum. I am also guessing that your name is Andy. We all started at one point and moved on from there. I grew up with relatives working on the railroad and was lucky enough to have had the opportunity to have spent many hours riding with them. That hooked me big time.

After getting out of the service I was stuck living in an apartment and built a small N scale layout that could slide under a bed. When I finally move to my home state, we built a home with a basement and the little N scale layout was incorporated into an N scale layout that had over 11 scale miles of main line. Unfortunately, the N scale locomotives that were available in the late 70's were very poor and I move to HO scale.

Take the time to visit Kens layout and I have a link for a video tour in my signature below.

Enjoy.

Hi Andy - Southside, Welcome to the forums.

Thanks new guy...to answer your questions:

DC (to start...if I build a larger layout someday down the line, maybe DCC, but we'll see)
HO scale is all I have...my dad has a bunch of N Scale, but more HO scale.
Control system? Ha ha ha...haven't gotten that far. ;)
I'm in Chicago, and grew up here -- and just about every roadname touches Chicagoland -- so I've amassed a bit of a variety of things. However, the small layout I'm attempting to build will "focus" on CP and CN...that said, I have some Belt RR stuff, IHB, and even an L&N engine that I've snagged over the years. So it will be a mishmash. Period-wise, definitely a mix of the last 50-60 years or so, with probably a heavier emphasis on the last 30. I don't have any steam at all, or much in the way of "early" freight. Mostly more modern stuff that was around during my lifetime and just before. :)

Thanks for asking...and I hope I can be of help to SOMEONE. :)

Hey all...
Just wanted to introduce myself, as it says...grew up with the ol' round-the-Christmas-tree in HO and then N scale (my dad's creations, not mine), then my dad built a small layout in the old coal shed of the house...again, just a loop for running the many trains we've collected (my brothers as well) with a little bit o' scenery and stuff.

Now, I'm ready to build a layout for myself -- and like my dad, I have a very small room with which to work until my kiddos get bigger and need less play room in the basement. I've read a few things here and there and am ready to jump in. I'm about to post my layout plan to make sure I'm not missing anything, so I appreciate any/all comments. :)

Thanks for having me!

It's good to have you join us here, lots of friendly folks with lots of knowledge. I and Chet are both still 'DC' guys and both in HO also, and happy with both being single operators. It will be interesting to see what your planning layout wise? Might I suggest a small 'L' shaped layout in a corner of the basement for starters. It will require about 6 to 8' along each wall but I think you might be pleased with it. That way, even on a single track main line, like my turn of the century layout, with passing sidings, you get to view your trains making both Left and Right turns as well as going around a loop at either end which changes direction and even elevation if you want to incorporate that? Basically it's a folded Dog Bone type of setup which can be expanded upon rather easily in various ways. Also it allows you to keep your main tables at about 30" or less in depth which makes it easier to work on the track and scenery and just the ends where the loops are will be about 48" x 48" or less depending on the radius your planning on working? I would also leave at least a 2" outside the road bed for scenery and a better effect! While most, if not all equipment in your time period will probably handle an 18" radius it might be better to try and stay with a 20 to 22" radius for a little better running. The use of flex track might be easiest and goes down quicker with nice compass arc of the center line of the track to gauge yourself with.

Be sure to stop in at the ANPL coffee shop - Running Bears' Dinner. Named after Jeffrey who passed away two years ago at way to young an age.

Good to have you again.

Welcome to the forum Andy. It's the friendliest model RR forum on the net. I too model in HO and use DC. Ask away with your questions. As David posted, come visit the Coffee Shop for some light-hearted BS about modeling and anything else except politics and religion.

Willie

Back