The "Narrow Gauge and Short Line Gazette" Magazine.

N

NP2626

I first was exposed to the above magazine in around 1995 when I came across it at a Hobby Shop. Although more dedicated to Narrow Gauge, there is a lot of information on just plain building models, which is right in my "Wheel House". The NG&SL Gazette has been in publication for more that 35 years! It is published six times per year, so is brought out Bi-Monthly. In this issue; January/February 2017 Bob Brown has announced that the magazine has been sold to White River Productions, a name that should be familiar to most, as they produce many publications. Among them are: Railroad Model Craftsman, both the HOn3 and On3 Annual Journals, Model Railroad News, Passenger Train Journal, Rail Fan and Railroad, Trains and Railroads of the Past, among a few others and also publish the NMRA's monthly magazine. Bob Brown shall stay on for a while as Editor and many of the regular contributors will still be contributing.

In my opinion, the Narrow Gauge and Short Line Gazzette is one of the best magazines published. They use the best paper for printing the magazine and everything about the magazine is very high quality. This magazine is about building structures, locomotives and rail cars. many projects are scratch builds or about bashing locomotives into specific locomotives. Authors contributing this month are Charlie Getz, Mallory Hope Farrell, jim Vail, Craig Symington.

If you are a "Builder of Models" and have not been exposed to the Narrow Gauge and Short Line Gazette, you may want to take a look at this great magazine. I subscribed for many years, let my subscription go and have finally re-subscribed!

I've been purchasing it for a few years now for the same reasons you've stated. I find it more oriented towards small industries than large, box buildings. That gives it a more personal touch, which I like.

I used to read the Narrow Gauge and Short Line Gazette because I enjoyed the photographs printed on glossy, high quality paper, the small structures and interesting stories were refreshing to read. Unfortunately, I do shop at hobby shops that offers the magazine for sale.

There's a lot of talent in the issues.

Greg

Last edited by a moderator:
i have been buying Narrow Gauge and Short Line Gazette for years, mostly from my LHS. After that source went out of business, I have had a regular subscription from them ever since. Great magazine, I look forward to every issue. This magazine has not lost any quality over the years, still as good as it was twenty years ago, not like some other model railroad magazines that have lost all the quality they used to have. Even if you are not "narrow minded", there is tons of information for every modeler.

Mel

It appears the magazine has some notoriety. Considering that most involved in the hobby today couldn't care less about craftsmanship, it is refreshing to see that to some it still matters and this magazine is all about craftsmanship!

A wonderful treat every other month when it appears at my LHS. Interestingly I understand it is distributed to the LHS outlets by Kalmbach and wonder if that will continue. The NG&SLG has the finest quality in articles, print and editing of any current US model publication. White River appears to be a very suitable home judging by what they have done resurrecting and adding quality to Railroad Model Craftsman. And the White River owners appear young enough to guarantee an extended foreseeable future.

I have re-subscribed to the Narrow Gauge and Short Line Gazette. I'm unsure how many years I had been a subscriber, before, maybe 5-6 years. I sold all my older NG&SL Gazette on Ebay and found them very easy to sell and get what I was asking for them.

Bob Brown and his wife are now in their mid 80s, Bob wants to stay on and continue with his Roberts Ramblings, while his wife Irene is going to retire and devote here time to her hobbies.

Back