The Krylon Depot

HaggisKennedy

Coal Shoveler
At the local train show last weekend, I bought a HO scale depot that appeared to have undergone the heavy Krylon paint treatment. As a test, I sprayed a couple of the sides with oven cleaner last night, and lo, after about an hour or so, the paint was coming off.

Looks like a previous owner shot it with black primer, then one big thick
coat of the primary color. A glossy bright green. They used silver on the
freight doors. The OC softened the paint easily. Now, all I need is to find
one of my old toothbrushes (which I save for things like this) to scrub the
rest of the paint off.

Still, with what I did, it looks pretty weathered now. I used my fingers to
rub the loose paint off, so with the black base coat, it looks weatherbeaten.
Like an abandoned station....

But, it was cheap; the guy sold it to me for $5, and I knew I could probably find the right stripping agent.....

Kennedy

That's a surprise. Not the Kryon paint depot since I see those at train shows all the time but I never thought oven cleaner would remove paint without ruining the plastic. I have an AHM Rico depot that I got for free from a guy who was getting out of trains and I think he must have been a friend of the guy who did your depot. :) I'll be interested to see how yours comes out sine the Rico depot can make a nice structure with a little kitbashing.

I let it sit overnight this weekend, and it got through the 2 layers of paint; the thick green, and the black undercoat. The depot is actually in a buff color, I also noticed that the doors were originally painted white. So, that's three colors to strip.

The roof doesn't come off, so I can't really get into the nooks real well. Nor, underneath the roof, since it's sprayed black there as well. Haven't decided what the next step is, after I get off all the current layers of paint....

Also, it might go faster if I used a fresh can of oven cleaner; I'm using up an old can that's been open awhile.....

:D

Kennedy

I used to use oven cleaner as a stripper. It works on some paints, but not others. I found it worked best if I sprayed the subject and then sealed it in a large zip-lock bag over night. Be careful when you get down to the plastic as it can damage the plastic if left too long. Another thing I learned, don't let the oven cleaner/paint dry on the model, as it becomes way harder to remove the second time!

Back