The John Bull

bklynman01

I was going through some of my old stuff tonight and found the set below. When I was young, my uncle (married in) who never had any kids of his own, gave me this set. I think it belonged to his father who modeled mid-1800's era HO. He knew that I had a layout and so gave me a giant box of stuff. This is only one of the things that was in that box.

What I know about this is that Bachmann made it. It doesn't look too old, but I couldn't find a date on the box anywhere. The track and power pack are still in the box, never opened. The engine runs great, but there's only one car's worth of wheels in the box. The trucks are there, just no wheels (not sure if that makes sense or not).

Anyone know anything about this set? I plan to keep it regardless, but not sure if it's a collectors item and should be kept in the box, or if there's no problem with letting it run every once in a while.

20150224_202006.jpg20150224_202018.jpg

Sounds like it isn't mint, and Bachmann stuff usually isn't highly sought after but I don't think Bachmann made a lot of them, so there might be some collector interest, or someone may want it for their layout. Since there are some missing parts, I'll venture it has been run, so if it was mine I wouldn't hesitate to run it once in a while. Definitely keep the box and look into replacing the missing wheels.

I'd run it. As long as you don't burn out the motor, or let it take a plunge off a 3,000 scale ft. tabletop, it shouldn't hurt anything (DC ONLY, of course). If this is HO, I'd try some Kaydee replacement wheels in the car's trucks. Should work...

So I did google the John Bull and found it pretty interesting. Not sure why I didn't do that before posting!

I do plan to keep it and run it every once in a while. I want my next layout (or current layout expansion) to have a passenger operation, so I would likely set it up as a showpiece somewhere in there.

Thanks for the input guys.

Back