The Ground Hog Says Six More Weeks of Model Railroading!

Greg@mnrr

Section Hand
The Ground Hog saw his shadow today so we're lucky to have another six weeks to venture to our layouts and work on model railroading!

Is model railroading a winter hobby for you or do you work on your layout year round?

Greg

It is totally a Winter time activity for me. However, I do build a few rolling stock kits over the summer. Only another six weeks, huh? Scony doesn't have that much different a winter than Minnesota does! I don't count on anything until April is over with. So, double that amount of time and now we're getting talking!

Year round, 12 months, 52 weeks and 365 days a year for me. If I have anything else to do, I'll just find time for it.

Just an after thought...what's the difference between six weeks until Spring or six more weeks of Winter? Seems the same thing to me....!

Greg

Its mostly a winter hobby for me , but this winter has been somewhat of an exception . I have had very little time to work on the layout . I did get to buy 2 new Athearn engines that arrived on Tuesday and I got a bunch of freight cars from a layout dismantling and got to plant a bunch more trees so I did get a little bit done but not near what I would have liked to . Oh well , that's more for next winter , right ?

Like Lloyd, I am a 12 month, 52 week and 365 day person as well. There is always something else in life going on, as I am an avid gardener and house-husband by choice; but I always take some time to do something in the train shed every day.

Willie

We spend most of our time on Leech Lake, about 30 miles from here in the Summers. We have a travel trailer there, along with our sailboat; so, that is the reason I am a seasonal with the hobby. By the time spring rolls around, I am ready to do something outside and different, anyway. We live here full time, from Mid October through mid April when we open up the trailer and getting th boat ready for the water.

I should add my 2 cents worth...since I started this post.

I model mostly during the Wisconsin winters, but do retreat to the basement and the layout during our hot and humid summer weather. But, I'll do rail fanning in the summer just abut any time.

Greg

Pretty much a winter thing for me. We like to cruise the Salish Sea in the summer. But this year we have a 2 month road trip planned covering many of the lower 48 states.

The ground hog means nothing up here. I have seen it snow every month of the years out hers. I can remember trying to set off 4th of July fireworks in the pasture in a snow storm. Like many others, most of the model railroad work I do is during the winter.

I tend to be sporadic. I have no social life so I work on the layout whenever I feel like it.

Captain of Industry
President of Lancaster Central RR
President of Lancaster & Western Maryland Railway

Over here on the Canadian side of the winter the Ground Hog appearance said No Shadow.:D

Pretty much November-March and some rainy days the other times of the year. My wife and I are pretty busy folks and prefer to be outside when the weather is nice!

Back