The greenbrier logging and coal co

I switched to Linux back in January sometime. I have been getting tired of jumping through hoops all the time. My board is a 570 with a 5000 cpu amd. and 32 gigs of ram. Windows kept wanting me to install windows 11 in it. I was having enough issues that i wasn't about to install another issue of faults with w11. I have been happy with most of the programs in linux and don't plan to go back to windows again. Just FYI, you cannot install any of the windows os but w 10 and 11 on this system. it will not let you. Again, thats windows telling you what you can and not install on YOUR own computer.

I switched to Linux back in January sometime. I have been getting tired of jumping through hoops all the time. My board is a 570 with a 5000 cpu amd. and 32 gigs of ram. Windows kept wanting me to install windows 11 in it. I was having enough issues that i wasn't about to install another issue of faults with w11. I have been happy with most of the programs in linux and don't plan to go back to windows again. Just FYI, you cannot install any of the windows os but w 10 and 11 on this system. it will not let you. Again, thats windows telling you what you can and not install on YOUR own computer.
Couldnt agree more I have been running linux since the milenium or there abouts, and was proficient in UNIX before that. I use Windows too but mostly for gaming. I am a full stack software engineer so have to tollerate them all :D
However my advice was mainly targeted assuming you use windows, because the vast majority still do, and win 10+ is not as "bad" as people make out in many ways. :)
If it wont let you install it then it is probably better than a bad install at the end of the day, so kudos for switching OS rather than binning your machine like so many do. Of course where a lot of other operating systems fail, is the "End User Experience", some are awesome for beginners and non techy people, who "just want a computer", and for others are just horrific (even to me as a programmer of 30+ years who has lived everthing from ZX Spec, C64, Amiga/Mac/68000, 8086+++, ARM. With the best and worst "UIs" known to man running on them.

Last edited:
yeah, i got out of it. i hate what windows has done to our "new' computers. they tell us we bought the computer but they can only tell us what os they will let you use. I chose linux. that pretty much put up my middle finger at microsoft

Attachments

• Firefox_wallpaper.png
    Firefox_wallpaper.png
    730.4 KB · Views: 54
Just a quick note to ya all. I haven't done anything to the layout for a spell. Been working on me and our old truck. I liked what someone asked as to how and get behind the layout. I am still trying to figure out that one. To coin a phrase, i painted myself into a corner!! I wish i was 20 again for a few hours...

Just a quick note to ya all. I haven't done anything to the layout for a spell. Been working on me and our old truck. I liked what someone asked as to how and get behind the layout. I am still trying to figure out that one. To coin a phrase, i painted myself into a corner!! I wish i was 20 again for a few hours...
20 is overrated , 60’s is the new 20’s :)

I finally felt up to doing something to the layout this evening. I think i need to come around here more often or something:cool:
I got most of the yard for the logging camp done. i took off the masking and will have to wait till dry to do fine stuff on or around the turnouts. I hate doing turnouts. these things suck ballast in like a magnet does metal. have to really be careful. I love how the kato turnouts look but i hate how they get messed up so easy. have a few shots of the latest. latters,

Attachments

• DSC_3362.JPG
    DSC_3362.JPG
    790.5 KB · Views: 53
  • DSC_3361.JPG
    DSC_3361.JPG
    845.1 KB · Views: 58
  • DSC_3360.JPG
    DSC_3360.JPG
    751 KB · Views: 56
I finally felt up to doing something to the layout this evening. I think i need to come around here more often or something:cool:
I got most of the yard for the logging camp done. i took off the masking and will have to wait till dry to do fine stuff on or around the turnouts. I hate doing turnouts. these things suck ballast in like a magnet does metal. have to really be careful. I love how the kato turnouts look but i hate how they get messed up so easy. have a few shots of the latest. latters,
That is looking awesome :)

I am lucky. I got some of the grasses on the rails inside so i had to clean that up. I checked the turnouts and no issues there. Now for the work around the turnouts..joy..

I am lucky. I got some of the grasses on the rails inside so i had to clean that up. I checked the turnouts and no issues there. Now for the work around the turnouts..joy..
If i remember from my youth that (doing points/turnouts) was always the worst part LOL. Get it wrong and its hours with a scalpel, tweezers and alcohol.
Good luck and may your glue shooting be true!

Last edited:
hehe. The turnouts are ok but i have one that is acting up. Its not power routing like it should. don't matter which way i go. And this turnout is on the main so i hadn't had any issues till today. I cleaned and cleaned some more, but it just don't want to play nice for some reason. happens with all the engines too. If i speed it up it will go on thru but if you try and go slow it just stops. I don't see anything that is on the track. I used alcohol track cleaner a small knife and nothing. I quit for the night. got to think this one out. Laters

hehe. The turnouts are ok but i have one that is acting up. Its not power routing like it should. don't matter which way i go. And this turnout is on the main so i hadn't had any issues till today. I cleaned and cleaned some more, but it just don't want to play nice for some reason. happens with all the engines too. If i speed it up it will go on thru but if you try and go slow it just stops. I don't see anything that is on the track. I used alcohol track cleaner a small knife and nothing. I quit for the night. got to think this one out. Laters
Try jumping some wires to the turnout to narrow down which rail is not powering.

yep, beat me to it. Not having much luck with that. it seems to have a mind of its own. Jumping doesn't do anything even if i jump both sides of the track. will keep plugging at it.

I have 6 engines and all 6 do it at that turnout. The things inside that turnout must be shot. But like you all said jumper the two track and it still does it. Funny, if i run the turnout to the logging track it will run right as slow as i want. It only does it on the main. for the life of me i can't figure this one out. If i jump both rails it should run right through that turnout. it still stops. No short made when running on the main. any other ideas? I in limbo till i can fix this

I have 6 engines and all 6 do it at that turnout. The things inside that turnout must be shot. But like you all said jumper the two track and it still does it. Funny, if i run the turnout to the logging track it will run right as slow as i want. It only does it on the main. for the life of me i can't figure this one out. If i jump both rails it should run right through that turnout. it still stops. No short made when running on the main. any other ideas? I in limbo till i can fix this
Can you isolate one rail at a time that is going to the turnout? Is it possible you’re getting a short from one of the three rails? Can you put an insulator like a piece of paper in between the throw rail? I had problem like this and had to gap the rail between the switch and the rail .

dcc says no shorts but i don't know. will try that and see if i can get it to mess up.
well, that didn't work. i even covered the frog and it still stops. I think its internal to the turnout. gonna have to pull it out and check it out. Figures it would come when the ballast is down.

dcc says no shorts but i don't know. will try that and see if i can get it to mess up.
well, that didn't work. i even covered the frog and it still stops. I think its internal to the turnout. gonna have to pull it out and check it out. Figures it would come when the ballast is down.
You would think if was a bad connection jumping rail wires would make it right. Maybe checking for continuity would be a better way to go at it .

i already decided to pull it out. i think there is a switch that makes it power right or whatever, i can't remember now. it may have burned out or maybe the switch in it broke, i guess i will find out

i already decided to pull it out. i think there is a switch that makes it power right or whatever, i can't remember now. it may have burned out or maybe the switch in it broke, i guess i will find out
What manufacture is the switch? Insulfrog or electro frog?

Good Job! What spin are you using?

I started with Redhat 1.7 or something like that in 1993, went to Fedora and have there ever since; although I do not use the latest and greatest, I get a version earlier to let them work out all of dem bugs. Note that I still have to deal with Windoz machines ( W10 ) as the rest of the family is just not Linux knowledgeable yet; and I have a couple of applications that have not been ported I still use. Everything is faster on Linux!

As to boxes, I usually get Dell Precision Workstations with dual XEON's. Runs circles around any Intel CORE or AMD processors so far. As to the RAM size, you should be good to go there. A fun thing happened to me last week. I was having an unexplainable problem with one of my servers that could not be related to memory or disk problems ( another story ) so I ordered another DL360 gen8. This thing came with 384Gig of ram and it only cost $99 shipped! Yes, 384Gig. Dual 2.6Ghz Xeon's with 10 cores each. Want to go to 3.24Ghz but can't find my price yet.

Later

Back