The D&J Railroad -- From Scratch

It's a shame that this guy only offers the bridge in N-scale. I bought a model from him a while back (a yard tower) but when I tried to buy a signal bridge I got no response. I don't know if he is still in business or not. You may want to contact him and see if he has the plans for the bridge for you to scratch build it.

http://traincat2.com/d_cantileveredtruss.htm

Doing some more work on the yard peninsula loop. This is to wide to reach to the middle from outside the loop, so I have to build it out a couple feet at a time. Standing inside the benchwork I can reach to the middle of the scenery to tack down the screen, plaster and paint. The last couple of feet I will be able to reach from the isle.

0809161959.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Ken!

Your track and roadbed is so consistent that I almost thought it was sectional track with road bed! I know you well enough to know that could not be so I looked closer. :)

Do you have a link to your videos? Due to some health problems I was AWOL from the forum several times over the last 6 months and I want to be sure I have not missed any.

Thank you for sharing your work and for taking the time to make the videos, I really enjoy it all!

One of these days I am going to take you up on your offer to visit, but right now my health limits my travel. That won't last forever. Ill bring the coffee, but I won't bring it into the train arena.

Ken the railroad is really coming together and looking good. I need to make a trip back over and see some trains being ran!!!

I see you are getting more hard shell scenery in. Must make you feel good. Looks better than running trains around on open grid work. Thanks for posting. I have been following the build since the beginning and have really enjoyed the updates and videos. Keep the posts coming.

Hey Louis,
No problem with coffee in the train room/basement. I splash enough stuff around down there that a bit of coffee wouldn't even be noticed. Also, it would blend in with the scenery.
You can see all the videos on my YouTube channel, EasternSP Rails. Actually, you will see two channels. They are both mine and feature the development of this railroad empire.

Last edited by a moderator:
Finishing up the scenery cover on the yard peninsula. This has been a long and difficult job.

This first picture shows the build up of the mountain using the foam board. After the basic shape is established, I use a rasp foam shaper to round the edges off.
0712161837.jpg

A layer of screen material is tacked in place over the foam to support the coating of wall plaster. The black dots are ring nails pushed through the screen into the foam board to hold the screen in shape.

0806161126a.jpg

A coat of wall plaster is spread over the screen layer and aloud to set hard. I use a hard spatula to spread the plaster then a short paint brush to smooth out the spatula marks. Another layer is spread over it to build up the strength.

0806161126.jpg

No real detail sculpting is done just as mother nature has no real detail to the shape of the hills and mountains.
This particular mountain will have the tall side closest to the track painted as a cut where a tunnel over two of the tracks used to be. When the yard tracks were extended to this point, the tunnel was daylighted.

Last edited:
Thanks for the update Ken. It's nice to see the scenery moving along. I have been following this post since you started the layout and have really enjoyed all of your videos (subscribed) and watching the layout come together. It is a real masterpiece. Keep the updates coming.

LOUIS -- Thank you for the link you posted!

Ken: Now you are gonna keep me busy trying to catch up with all your vids. Wonderful layout!

How does subscribing benefit me? Do I win a prize? How about a ticket to view your layout when and if I can make it back that direction again!

LOUIS -- Thank you for the link you posted!

Ken: Now you are gonna keep me busy trying to catch up with all your vids. Wonderful layout!

How does subscribing benefit me? Do I win a prize? How about a ticket to view your layout when and if I can make it back that direction again!

Subscribing will provide you with a notification when there new posts to this thread, either by me or others. Subscribing to my YouTube page will send you notifications when I post new videos.
Yeah, if you're going to be in the area, let me know. I'd be glad to give ya a tour and put a throttle in your hand with some assignments.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Ken, those pictures remind me that I still have lots of work to get to that point.
Just saw your tanker video, nice, First time I see buildings on your layout...lol (refinery)

Finished the scenery base for the yard peninsula and the trains are running again.
These two trains are pulling strings of the new ScaleTrains crude oil tankers.

Last edited:
Ken - Another nice video. It came on my phone last night as I have subscribed to you and wanted to see it again on a larger format. It's really nice to see more scenery going in. I have really enjoyed seeing your layout evolve. What a difference from the bare bench work.

I'll be conducting an open house in conjunction with the Mid-Atlantic Rail Prototype Modelers meet in Fredericksburg, VA at the end of September. I've been wrapping up the smaller projects as well as the recent scenery job on the yard peninsula. One of the main concerns was finishing the additions to the signal functions as I have added a few additional industrial sidings as well as a crossover on the mainline.
I'll be conducting a shake down op session today with a few friends to find anything that I might have been overlooking. We will be just running trains for a while then go into switching assignments to shake out any misbehaving turnouts or signal functions.

Congratulations Ken. Wish that I was on the East Coast so I could drop by. I've been following your build for a number of years now, and it has always impressed me.

Willie

Back