The complete book of Model Railroading.

Originally published in 1964. I got it for Christmas in 72. It was one of the first books to really plug the airbrush, Paasche's H in particular. A lot of the stuff in it is obsolete now but it's still a pretty interesting read just on the history of the hobby. Lots of pics of brass locos and long-gone products, like Kemtron's brass steam kits and parts.

It even has a chapter on ASTRAC, the very first command control system. Conceptually ahead of its time... took three more decades for technology to catch up and make DCC possible and practical.

Andy

I first discovered this book at my local library when I was about 10 yrs old and spent hours dwelling on the photos and dreaming of a layout like those published in the book including some black andwhite photos of John Allen's G&D.

Years later, I found it in a Walden's Book store for around 14.95 and received it as a Christmas Gift.
Great book for ideas on Scenery, Weathering and scratch building. as stated by previous poster, much of the technology is far outdated but still a great reference material book!
i wish i still had mine!

I have much the same story as HF1-took it home from my local library over the Summer, in 1973 or 74. Read it pretty much cover to cover-not bad for a 5th or 6th grader. I never had my own copy, however. Probably one of the most influential books on my early years in the hobby, along with Bruce Chubb's old Sunset Valley.

I would have like to have seen the trackplans to some of the layouts pictured in that book. In its day, it was a fabulous reference. Still provides a very decent window on the past.

LOL I have a copy, it was given to me by a neighbour who was into modelrailroading back in the late 1970's. I haven't looked at it in a long time, maybe it deserves a re-visit.
Cheers
Wilis

I would say it does Willis. Every time I flip the book open, there is something relevant to read and apply to the modelrailoading of today. Sound principals and theories for sure.

I got that book in about 1977 from Waldenbooks. Still have it. Loved the pictures when I was a kid. Might have to look through it again some day.

Back