The Cave Line (under construction)

B

BSVRR

Slow progress due to a bad habit of runnin trains instead of building...

Layout is 8' long by 6' deep, frame is made from 3/4" plywood ripped to 3.5" topped with 1" foamboard glued to the frame. It's supported on the back wall by shelf brackets, I'm extending the brackets enough that I can pull the layout away from the wall far enough to work on it. The shelf system was there, it was level, I'm lazy. There is no design aside from the thoughts that pop into my head as I build.

I'm already planning on extending it to a u shape, after all it's about miles of track and dozens of cars :) The ramp will part of the elevated loop I'm planning, looking at ways to support it now, scratch building whatever I go with.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like it's coming along. Hook up that surround-sound to a decoder, and you've got a party. :D

Heh, the speakers are at least a decade older than me and the amp is the same age as me, only surround you're gonna get is if you stick your head between the speakers.

Ney BSV, :)

Looks like a nice and neat installation!
How do you like using those Woodland Scenecs foam risers?

Greg

So far I like the WS ramp system, but I would have saved some money if I had just bought a tapering jig for my table saw and cut foam to suit.

If I were to use it on my HO layout I'll be starting soon, I'd use the 2% ramp they sell though, using the starter/riser combo method results in some slight variances where the starters join in and the single ramp system I'm sure would be easier and faster.

The plywood is doubled on the piece running from the outside leg to the wall, the plywood itself is furniture grade 12 ply stuff, I built it that way specifically to eliminate need for a leg there, the whole thing is actually extremely lightweight, when it's done I don't expect it to weigh all that much either, pretty much everything but the frame and track is going to be foam.

The only draw back to that is the foam on open frame acts like a soundboard :)

Going to stick cork on the underside to dampen it.

This room is going to be remodeled shortly, it's a spare bedroom we'll never use, putting a big bay window on the south, the whole room will center around the layout, but it will remain my "cave", so we'll integrate the TV and audio into it as well.

I'm actually going to look at paint today. Nice rich blue I think. Or perhaps green. The whole idea was to be able to manhandle the thing out of the way easily.

The background around the layout will be something I shoot in NE Minnesota this spring, Echo Trail north of Ely has a section of road over looking Ed Graves Lake cut into a granite deposit that strikes me as suitable...

Last edited by a moderator:

Back