Thanks Giving Weekend Photo Fun 11-27/11-30

joem5127

Wow! I guess I get to start.
First attempt at static grass. I think I need more static.
IMG_0710.jpg

Still working on mocking up this scene.
IMG_0712.jpg

And I have this unit I'm going tobe offering up for sale.
IMG_0713.jpg

is that a Proto 2000 SD-9? I'll keep an eye our for it in the For Sale threads....

Hi all: I've been working on signs this week. Here's an Alco RS-27 leading a West bound local past a keystone whistle post.

P1020822.jpg

V&AL,
It's a Broadway Limited Blueline SD-9 with a Digitrax decoder. All set up and programmed with four digit address 1702.

Hi all: I've been working on signs this week. Here's an Alco RS-27 leading a West bound local past a keystone whistle post.
Nice photo, I see SC tower in the back, did you hear SO tower burned down? Seems they assume it was arson, as there were no utilities. :mad:

Joe, you do need more static. :) I just figured out what the problem is with the highway overpass. You have the top of the plate girders even the top of the rail. That's the opposite of how a plate girdter bridge should be. The bottom of the girders should be even with the roadbed, which would give you a lot more clearance. You'd have to rework those abutments but the girders should be sitting at about the top level of the current abutment rather than down so low.

Gramps, great looking scene. Nothing says Pennsy like one of those keystone whistle posts.

Jeffrey, I think you've squeezed every bit of clearance you can under your bridge. :)

Joe, you do need more static. :) I just figured out what the problem is with the highway overpass. You have the top of the plate girders even the top of the rail. That's the opposite of how a plate girdter bridge should be. The bottom of the girders should be even with the roadbed, which would give you a lot more clearance. You'd have to rework those abutments but the girders should be sitting at about the top level of the current abutment rather than down so low.
That's because he's got a deck girder, not a through girder.

Deck:
http://structsource.com/images/stldeck.jpg

Through:
http://structsource.com/images/thru.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a great model and photo Grampys. How about a shot of the crossing.

Joe I like that tree.

NYC_George

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
Originally Posted by UP2CSX
Joe, you do need more static. I just figured out what the problem is with the highway overpass. You have the top of the plate girders even the top of the rail. That's the opposite of how a plate girdter bridge should be. The bottom of the girders should be even with the roadbed, which would give you a lot more clearance. You'd have to rework those abutments but the girders should be sitting at about the top level of the current abutment rather than down so low.

That's because he's got a deck girder, not a through girder.

Deck:
http://structsource.com/images/stldeck.jpg

Through:
http://structsource.com/images/thru.jpg

Yup deck girder. I still have lots of work to do. The girder is just setting there.

OK, let me rephrase that. If you switch from a deck girder to a through girder bridge, you'll gain about 14 scale feet of clearance. Like I said, it should just be a matter of changing abutments and either getting through girder bridge or gluing plate girders to the sides of the road bed to simulate a through girder bridge.

4 track crossing

Hi NYC George: Here's a shot of the crossing.

I wanted to see if it was dangerous. I can see it is. When I was a fireman we hit a few cars and I watched as they flipped over and over and both times the people got out unharmed. They were very lucky. One of them was a friend who now drives a concrete truck. He has delivered to some jobs that I've worked. I tell everyone back in 1973 I hit that guy with a train.

NYC_George

Nice work on that crossing, Gramps.

I finally got down to the layout to take some pictures. Here's a night view of the crossing at Central Ave. heading into town. The city guys are getting to work hanging Christmas lights.

CentralAveCrossingMedium.jpg

Thanks George. And thank you, too, Jim. That is an outstanding city scene. I'll bet you're preparing for the Dec. photo contest.

Thank you, Gramps, I am indeed. I've got one aerial shot of downtown with all the little LED lights strung across the streets and in the trees at the courthouse that I think looks pretty good. If anyone is looking for almost HO scale size LED Christmas light strings, K-Mart has them for $7.99 for 35 flashing colored lights or 50 white lights. They are pretty good quality LED's and the white lights would work great for locomotive headlights and streetlights. They have a yellowish cast that's an almost perfect match for incandescent lights.

I just posted a thread on this, but here's an uploaded detail shot of BNSF #560, a Dash 8-40BW. I'm sorting though photos from the last 6 months+ trying to upload anything I've missed, to my roster shot gallery.

Back