Testing locomotives

pldlnr

Hello, again. I just dropped in to add a question to my last thread and found that it had been closed due to some squabbling by a few forum members! I wasn't expecting that.

I am working on selling a very large collection of HO scale stuff. There are numerous steam engines that appear to be new in the boxes. Many of them date back to the 1970s. Do you think it would be helpful to me and perspective buyers if I were to construct a small set up to test them? Thanks,

Paul

Yes, all you would need is a small oval. Some say just a length of flextrack, but this does not test the turning ability of the equipment.

If you can test them, you will be able to get more for them seeing as you know what the operating condition of the equipment is. If you don't than you would have to sell them AS-IS and this will scare off some buyers, and also fetch you less $$$$.

Also If you don't test and not list them AS-IS most people will assume they work and if it doesn't work than you have nothing but hassles on your hands.

I always test before selling, this way I know what the condition it is.

Hello, again. I just dropped in to add a question to my last thread and found that it had been closed due to some squabbling by a few forum members! I wasn't expecting that.

I am working on selling a very large collection of HO scale stuff. There are numerous steam engines that appear to be new in the boxes. Many of them date back to the 1970s. Do you think it would be helpful to me and perspective buyers if I were to construct a small set up to test them? Thanks,

Paul
You might be able to find a local railroad club, a friendly chat to the right person could get you access to a layout to test them on. If you are selling them on e-bay a link to a video clip of them running is very helpful for a buyer.

Many of them may not run well or at all simply because the old oil and grease has hardened like varnish. Hard to tell their true condition without at least a minor tuneup.

Bruce

Many of them may not run well or at all simply because the old oil and grease has hardened like varnish. Hard to tell their true condition without at least a minor tuneup.

Bruce

I agree.
Just getting an old engine to run after setting for a few years can be a lengthy process and skill/experience is required.....that assumes you have a decent set-up.....DC and/or DCC

Do you want to get "top dollar" or just move them?

Were I in your shoes, I'd sell them "as is". You apparently have a bunch of em'. Ebay is the best place to find out what they are worth. Try a few & see for your self. That alone is a time consuming experience.

The brass will sell and you can always set a reserve on it. That alone gets you an idea of its worth. "Good looking" brass by a decent builder is 200 bucks minimum.

Back