Telegraph wire?

goscrewyourselves

I'm the one
Hi Guys,

What do you guys use for telegraph pole wire? Not sure if I am going to do it or not, but if I do put in a couple of poles, I'd like to have the wire in advance to practice with.

I've never found a truly satisfactory solution for modelling telephone/telegraph/power lines, due to the fact that the prototype lines sag in cantenary loops. Trying to get that right is almost impossible, although it might be done using very thin strands of wire. High voltage lines, OTOH, are generally tight between supporting poles (hence the term "high tension lines". The other problem that comes up sometimes with adding wire to your poles is the possibility of snagging them if you need to reach beyond them on the layout. Thusfar, on my own layout, I haven't strung any wires, even between the high voltage towers, and have avoided putting up telephone poles...sofar.

Rapido Trains Inc did make their "totally wired" telephone poles for a time, but seems they fell foul of a doubling in price from the factory between first and second orders. Haven't been able to get any further info via Google as to what transpired after that (2013?). They did announce that they would be making the wire available for modellers to add extra wires to their poles.

Thanks Guys, and tailrider, getting snagged on the wires could be an issue, that is true and something to be taken into consideration.

Toot'n I looked at the Rapido site and still saying they are "coming", but am not holding my breathe as it seems they have been coming for as long as dooms day has been coming :)

I've never found a truly satisfactory solution for modelling telephone/telegraph/power lines, due to the fact that the prototype lines sag in cantenary loops. Trying to get that right is almost impossible, although it might be done using very thin strands of wire. High voltage lines, OTOH, are generally tight between supporting poles (hence the term "high tension lines". The other problem that comes up sometimes with adding wire to your poles is the possibility of snagging them if you need to reach beyond them on the layout. Thusfar, on my own layout, I haven't strung any wires, even between the high voltage towers, and have avoided putting up telephone poles...sofar.

Actually, 'tension' is an old term used for voltage, and the high tension lines sag just the same around here.

Sent from my Vic20 using Java Moose

There was a product some time ago that was for the very purpose. I have a couple rolls of it somewhere downstairs. It can be strung along as power or phone lines and has a natural droop to it. It is elastic like so if you do snag it, it won't break. I'll try to find mine and post a picture of it.

The stuff Ken is talking about is called E Z Line. It is made by Berkshire Junction. It is a very fine elastic, made in white, black green and rust for making barb wire fences. Not cheap though. My 100' roll has a price of $18.79 on the bag, but not sure how much it is in the US.

In your Aussie section, you could have an old house with a clothesline or two. You know the sort, strung between the house and a post or handy tree, with a tree branch or pole that had a fork in the end to hold the middle of the line up. A few bedsheets and a pair of long-johns flapping in the breeze.

(I might post that up in the "Nostalgia" thread)

In your Aussie section, you could have an old house with a clothesline or two. You know the sort, strung between the house and a post or handy tree, with a tree branch or pole that had a fork in the end to hold the middle of the line up. A few bedsheets and a pair of long-johns flapping in the breeze.

(I might post that up in the "Nostalgia" thread)

One step ahead of you mate - already thought about the clothes line :) Now if I can find a HO Scale Barby, eskie, meat pies and beer cans - it'll be spot on :)

Hi Guys,

I have to make an apology. Sometime ago I purchased a box of Sierra Scale Models Telegraph lines, that I had totally forgotten about. Included is a real of wire.

Sorry for the post and my (apparently) failing memory :(

Thanks Guys and Stoker, valid points and taken. Seems as though the way to go is to just put up the poles and NOT the wire. A little disappointing but need to be practical as well.

Even the poles will catch your sleeve, there's a few on the DC club layout and you can guarantee that's where you'll have a derailment. If you do put them on/in, put them on the inside of the track where you're not so likely to have to reach over them.

Even the poles will catch your sleeve, there's a few on the DC club layout and you can guarantee that's where you'll have a derailment. If you do put them on/in, put them on the inside of the track where you're not so likely to have to reach over them.

Very good point Toot'n and that just blew my placement of them outta the water. Oh well, I'll find some where for em :)

Back