Tech IV or Control Master 20??

V&AL

Fred's Loco Shop Foreman
My club desperatly needs some new power packs. Our current ones trip their breakers with just 2 Athearn BB locomotives (Or one DD-35...). A motion was brought up and resolved into a debate about getting 2 MRC Tech IV's or a Control Master 20 with walk-around throttles. I'm tryign to get as much info as I can, but I figgured I'd see what y'all had to say. The club is primarily DC, but we will be adding some modifications that will allow those of us who like to run DCC to plug in our DCC boxes and roll...

I'd look at the Tech IV as a nice home layout powerpack but they are a little anemic for a decent sized club layout. The Control Master 20 is much better suited for a club, with 20 amps of power and walkaround throttles. The ability to move throttles around the layout without loosing control of the train is a real plus compared to most DC systems.

I have a CM20 that I have been using for about 4 years. As long as you don't get further than 30ft away from the main powerpack to a plugin. Always use the best female phone wall plugs for the cord & U have to have the ones w/4 wires.

an you control more than one track with the CM 20? We have 2 mains and a branch line. the branch line pack is fine as it is, since it rarely sees MU'd units, but at $250 a piece X2 for the mains, plus walk arounds and plug installation, etc, the Tech IV's might just be more cost effective...

Just my 2 cents worth here, but if you are going to be investing that kind of cash why not just go ahead and make the switch to DCC and be done with it. In the long run it will more than make up for the price difference with it's ease of use and lowered expenditure in maintanence.

Cause there's only 2 of us with DCC-equipment, and I'll be transferring soon. The rest of the guys are old school die-hards....

Back