TEBC6 Build

-Possum-

I think I originally found out about these after watching some vids on Youtube, and I immediately wanted to make one for some reason haha.

Since they started off as SD9's in real life, I found an Athearn SD9 shell off Ebay for $5 and cut off the nose and long hood. The cab, base, and DB pieces came from another Ebay seller that I'll modify to make work. I originally wanted to keep the access doors from the SD9 for the ones on the TEBC6, but figured it would be too much trouble to make them look right. Got another idea in mind for them.

As for the livery, I'm not sure yet! If I go with BNSF, I'll pick #53 since they skipped over that number.

20240128_083016.jpg

20240204_112735.jpg

20240302_084405.jpg

I made a couple of these 15 maybe 20 years ago. The SD9 is a good place to start. I think you may find like I did, that the SW cab is a good place to start too, but the SW cab is a bit short in length, also note the angular roof, which I just added styrene sheet to make the angle roof line, I stretched the cab to get the right length. Also using the Athearn hood you will need to add to the deck walkway width, to ensure the right width hood is achieved. I had a P2K shell to start with, so that was a bit easier. I also found the need to replace the ends with SW ends to get the right step profile. I made the long hood with styrene and Cannon doors w added louvers. Also Athearn modified SD dyn brake grids and PSC fans, brass wire for handrails, also used DW air conditioner, Im sure other details were done but I cant remember everything right now. I did manage to mill an Athearn frame and lower the motor mounting to power the chassis as well.
A very enjoyable build. I am sure yours will be at least as good when you are done.
A few images If I may offer, to help you see what I refer to.
TEBC6 6294 1.JPG

TEBC6 6294 2.JPG

TEBC6 6294 3.JPG

TEBC6 6294 4.JPG

TEBC6 6294 5.JPG

I even did a SD38P, using a highly modified GP35 shell and SD9 chassis to go with it.
SD38P 6269 4.JPG

SD38TEBC.JPG

The pair will pull 60+ cars out of the receiving track and shove them over my hump track to this day.
Not trying to hijack your thread Sir. Just offering the images and my experience from 15-20 years ago to help your build. You have many sources available, that I didnt. I am looking very much FWD to seeing your BNSF TEBC6 build and if I can be of help. PLZ let me know.

Last edited:

Back