Take a guess?

Ice breakers summer two

Jim what happens is that when there’s a winter storm, say two foot of snow, the third rail shoe with out the protection of the third rail will travel through the snow which creates a lot of snow and ice buildup around the insulated wood shoe beam and shoe assembly. The ice breakers take care of that. One summer day over the radio I heard someone say, “Some thing on the engine just hit the ice breakers”, I’ll have to stop the train. I guess the shoe picked up a piece of discarded wire fence which hit the ice breakers. So I guess it’s a winter and summer thing. I just happen to drive down the road where you can see them the other day and thought that would be a good puzzle for the forum.

NYC_George

I hate to be the dummy, but what does this third rail stuff look like:confused: .
(I still think it's used for scraping dead cows :rolleyes::D )

3rd rail photo

Rex here's a link to a photo. Check out the FL9 that’s runs on diesel or electric. You can see the 3rd rail shoes and shoe beams attached to the trucks front and back. The shoes pick up power from the 3rd rail and also the ice when running outside of 3rd rail territory. It’s hard to make out but the actual 3rd rail for another track is in the foreground. It comes down fairly easy when hit by something.

Well dead cows are not as bad as the guy who said dead bodies from the front of the engine. What’s this forum coming to?

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/nh/nh2019bgs.jpg

NYC_George

Rain shelters for very short railfans.....

priceless...

i have an intimate history with New York City Subways, but i have never seen anything like that. but i guess i shouldnt have since the transit system is powered by 3rd rail exclusively, the hotshoe is never not "Hot" for long.

yeah this was fun..

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Back