Take a guess?

NYC_George

Let’s see who the first to identify what these are used for. If no one knows I’ll give the answer in a few days.

NYC_George

Boy, no clue on that one, George. I'd say they were some kind of detector but I don't see any obvious wiring connections. My other guess would be a clearance gauge of some kind. I'll be interested to find out what they really are.

Wild guess: Considering all the "spikes" and ties, I'm going to guess that it is measuring any change in the gauge of the rails with photo optics/laser...maybe in a bad curve...unstable ground...or just for the fun of it :D.

A tie down point.
Maybe for the damsel in destress. :)

Then again the yellow paint makes me think a caution sign of some kind.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does it have something to do with Pac-Man?

Southern Pac, Texas and Pac, Ferrocarril Chihuahua al Pac, Denver South Pak and Pac?

Boy, no clue on that one, George. I'd say they were some kind of detector but I don't see any obvious wiring connections. My other guess would be a clearance gauge of some kind. I'll be interested to find out what they really are.

Clearance gauge I'm thinking to but for what? May be a spreader gauge?:confused: MOW gauge of some type to help set tolerences of equipment?

Wild guess: Considering all the "spikes" and ties, I'm going to guess that it is measuring any change in the gauge of the rails with photo optics/laser...maybe in a bad curve...unstable ground...or just for the fun of it :D.
The "spikes" are just the newer clip style used on Concrete & Steel ties. Not sure why they ended up on wood ties, but it might have something to do with the funky yellow boxes, which at the moment I cannot figure out.

No to detectors

Their not detectors. Being more familiar with the New York City area railroads would be a big help although their setup 54 miles from the city. I doubt their used any where else in the country.

NYC_George

I think it was there for the sole purpose to confuse railfans and forum goers alike and to keep us guessing at what they really are.

And the answer is

Their 3rd rail shoe ice breakers. Most all the engines that run into Grand Central Station can run on diesel or 3rd rail power. When they leave 3rd rail territory sometimes snow and ice builds up on the engine's 3rd rail shoes. When they renter the ice breakers clean off the ice and snow before it damages the 3rd rail. The photo was taken about one mile from where the 3rd rail starts.

NYC_George

Very good, George, never thought of the need to clean the ice off third rail shoes but I can see where it would come in handy. They must take quite a battering in a bad winter.

Back