Surprise! Surprise! Sumtimes ya actually WIN on fleBay (arunning pristine FM C-liner)

Friday our USPS deliver yet another FM C-liner I won on eBay. I had started on a new chassis for it, expecting it to be a typical ancient serious rehab job.

Before I tear one apart to re-build, I always test run them first, I do that anyway with ALL locos anyway. I was SHOCKED! It not only ran but flew around my test oval in style! I pooped the hood, removed the shell) and even bigger surprise! It looked NEW, like it had been in animated suspension for 4 decades, or there abouts. It looked, and ran as if it just came off the assembly line. I gave it a good once over and a proper lube with Labelle 108. (motor bearings & gears).

Like I said I was shocked it even ran, let alone like a BRAND NEW loco. The gear noise was not near as bad as I expected either. This specimen had very little if any run time, plus it must have been stored under IDEAL conditions. I never expected to get one that even ran poorly, let alone like this loco does. I would never have expected to get one any where near this pristine condition in a ZILLION years.

I installed DCC in it and used a SDN136D, a SOUND version of the DN136-D. (they are easily interchangeable since they use the same plugin wire harness.) I took the shell (with speaker install and simply plugged it in (via another plug on the other end of the decoder) and BINGO! I not only have a near original Atlas/RR FM C-line but with SOUND to boot. Making this a SOUND equipped loco was EASY, there is lot of room inside and since the sound part was just a matter of plug-in in the SDN136 and Speaker cable & using the sound enabled shell.

I will try and do a video of it tomorrow running and blowing its horns.

It's always a nice surprise when things turn out way better than you hoped for! I've had some nice ones but I think yours outdoes any I've had. Looking forward to the video. Anyway to post some pictures of your install? I'd like to see how you dealt with isolating the motor and getting everything working well. Also, are you happy with the Digitrax sound decoder?

I just lost a bunch of detail typing, OUCH *&^$%#

A couple quick notes, The original Pristine chassis in at bottom, sample non-sound decoder w/wire plug-in harness shown between modified and original chassis. (for comparison) The speaker is in the upper right (rear below open ports) and also plugs in (other end of DCC decoder w/sound.) The bright metal tab, rear brush end was loosened just enough to rotate it and bend down to isolate it from the chassis. a 2-56 drilled & tapped for right rail (red pick-up wire. Black, left rail wire is to same tab used by factory. There is LOTs of ROOM so no need for fancy wiring or tight wire dressing.
I know I am forgetting a ting or two (or 3 or 4).

The sound is good enough for me, I am a budget hobbyist so I use the cheaper 8bit version. The 16 bit version is more $$$$. The scratches on the unused pristine chassis is from ME removing the shell. It only needed a little Labelle 108 lube, runs GREAT! (very pleasantly surprised, SHOCKED how fast quiet it is for such a very OLD loco, & metal gears)

Here are a couple photos (may re-write it later)

Attachments

• DL-109 SDNinstall Pz0376.JPG
    DL-109 SDNinstall Pz0376.JPG
    79.4 KB · Views: 203
  • DL-109 Wire Detail.jpg
    DL-109 Wire Detail.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 199

Back