Super Newbie looking to learn more

DL Lawrence

Hey all,

I've recently developed an interest in model railroading, and have begun the process of researching this hobby, and it's many (it seems) sizes, options, and variants. I'm in Central Virginia, and would have an interest in looking up some like minded folks to meet and learn from.

Can anyone tip me off to some local clubs, and perhaps some train stores to check out? Thanks in advance....let the searching begin!

DL

Welcome to the Forums and welcome to the hobby. Not only have you joined the very best Forum for Model Railroading, but you have taken up a 'hobby' that is totally addictive and a great deal of fun.

I can't advise on clubs; however, one of the best stores (if not the best) to look at for range and price is:

www.modeltrainstuff.com (M. B. Klein

There you will find things for every common scale. If you are unsure of what scale to work in, the most common (and popular amongst the members on here) is HO Scale (1/87th size). The next would be N Scale (1/160th size) possibly followed by O Scale, the larger of the three.

The variety of track sizes (within those scales) is also very diverse and is depicted by a Code Number that relates to the height of the rails. The most popular would be Code 83 track, followed by Code 100 followed (possibly) by Code 55. Code 83 Track is regarded as the most realistic. All or most track sizes are made by the majority of track manufacturers.

The most common manufacturers are Peco, Atlas and Bachmann. Personally, I believe Peco is by the far the best of the three by a long shot.

The most important thing here is to ASK questions about everything and anything, especially as a new comer to the hobby. This Forum is full of very knowledgeable and experienced Model Railroaders who are only too pleased to help. No matter what Scale or track size you choose - all you have to do is have FUN!

Welcome to the forums DL, glad to have you onboard.

Tony has already given you some great advice, but I will add this concerning making purchases.

As Tony said MB Klein http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/ is in my opinion the best for everyday pricing and customer service. http://www.trainworld.com/ is another good source. I recommend when ever you are looking for a specific item do an internet search because you never know who will have the best price on any given item when you are looking to make a purchase. If you are unsure of the vendor don't hesitate to come to the forum and ask for opinions.

I will also reiterate something else Tony said HAVE FUN!

Back