Sumas Prarie Barn - scratch build

BobB

I needed a barn to sit next to the farm scene on my layout. I decided to scratch build a barn from http://www.scalemodelplans.com/
For a nominal fee ($9.95 for this plan set), you can down load a packet from Scale Models that has cutout templates to mount on cardboard or foam board, scratch builder's scale plans with dimensions, etc., along with a very informative tutorial on how to build each type
of build. I'm going to start with the cut-fold-
tape version to get an idea how the barn fit in the farm scene.

Barn.JPG

Here's a picture of the cut-out plan printed out.

Sumas Prarie Barn  001.jpgSumas Prarie Barn 002.JPG

More pictures of the barn build in progress. Frame work built over plan covered with a plastic sheet to keep glue from sticking to the plan.
Sumas Prarie Barn 003.JPG
Working on the front, first floor wall. Stringer across the top of the wall will support second floor beams and flooring.
Sumas Prarie Barn 004.JPG
Wall framing installed on interior of first floor wall. I made the door framing taller than the plan to accommodate big farm machinery.
Sumas Prarie Barn 005.JPG
Two walls being dry fit to test alignment.
Sumas Prarie Barn 007.JPG

Nice! Great way to scratch build without having to work out all the dimensions yourself. Keep the build photos coming Bob.

Thanks, Mike. I always manage to 'measure once, cut twice!' This way, I can lay the wood directly over the plan and hopefully cut only once. :)
I will definitely take pictures of the whole build project.

Nice work on your barn. That thing is going to look really good when you get it all done!

I just added that site to my favs. Not too bad on the prices. I think they could be just a tad cheaper because for the cost of a plan I think I would just design it myself. But it is a great idea and I hope it takes off.

Thank you Tony and Kevin for your compliments.

"That is a great idea Bob and I like what you have done so far. Certainly a cheap way of getting scenery. "
Tony, couldn't agree with you more on tis point. I for one can't afford an FSM or FOS kit (wish I could). But with the plans supplied, I can build a pretty fair resemblance to a craftsman kit.

"I just added that site to my favs. Not too bad on the prices. I think they could be just a tad cheaper because for the cost of a plan I think I would just design it myself. But it is a great idea and I hope it takes off."
Kevin, my hope is that in the future that Scale Models appeals to more scratch builders and they will offer more plans. If you can think of a structure you'd like to see, drop them a line and voice your desires. I am sure they would like to hear from customers and potential customers alike.

While I'm waiting for the doors/windows to be delivered, I played with building placement and base scenery color. I have several bags of sifted dirt to cover the painted areas. And there will be a white picket fence going around the house and the 'plowed field' will go to the right of the chicken coop. I plan on using sifted, painted, sawdust for the grass behind the picket fence.

Sumas Prarie Barn 009.JPG

I've almost finished the 1st floor of the barn. I stained the interior walls with MinWax Early American stain. Only used one coat as I did not want the stain to be too dark. The windows and doors have arrived and I have applied the first coat of a dark green (to match the window frames of the farm house). Have installed the hay loft in the front of the barn, the unstained portion in the pictures. I won't mount the loft permanently until I have build the corrals and pens on the first floor. The unstained wood strips on the upper edge of the first floor walls will guide and support the second floor of the barn. I applied thin CA to the strips to give them more strength. Really enjoying this little project. More to follow.
Sumas Prarie Barn 010.JPGSumas Prarie Barn 011.JPGSumas Prarie Barn 012.JPGSumas Prarie Barn 013.jpg

Back