Stripping paint from plastic models

My experiences in stripping paint lately:
I have used various methods in the past which goes back to brake fluid back in the 1970s. My latest efforts involve “Super Clean”, “Purple Power”, and 91% alcohol. I use Rubbermaid containers. 7M71 appears to be the model. The lid is red and the container is clear. They hold 5 cups which translates to 2 cars, 55’ or smaller fit in each one.

Last Saturday morning I decided to strip some cheapie cars I got from ebay. Several appeared to be heavily painted with some brand of rattle can paint. I couldn’t finish stripping all of them that morning so left them soaking until I remembered them Tuesday. The 3 strippers all came from Walmart and none had stripping paint mentioned as a normal use. Now the methods and results.

1: 91% alcohol. The paint came off in large sheets with a little bit of scrubbing. It wasn’t quite clean so it got moved to the “Simple Clean” tub. In this particular situation the results moved 91% alcohol from my normal choice to my 3rd option.
2: Purple Power diluted 1:1. The paint was completely stripped and all the was left on the shells was a thin film of pigment that rinsed off with a spray of water. This worked well but is still not as good as the next choice.
3: Super Clean full strength. I pulled the shell of an F-7 out of this stripper and the paint was completely gone. Other shells had the same result. I had actually thought that the plastic this shell was grey but it isn’t, it is black. There was no paint ANYWHERE on the shell. No scrubbing the fans or grills or any part. NO PAINT just bare plastic! I like this method a lot. :)

I have no idea what paints were used on the shells but everything that went into the Super Clean was completely stripped to bare plastic. Whether it will work for anyone else is as yet unanswered.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back